Saturday, March 3, 2018

Windchimes - More is Better!




I’ve always loved hearing the gentle ringing of windchimes.  Usually they send a simple melody around the yard.  Usually.



Windchimes have been around for a very long time.  In ancient times the Romans hung bronze tintinnabulum around homes and in court yards.  The ringing sounds were believed to frighten away evil spirits.  Cool.  That works for me.



Depending on the shape of the sail (that’s the thing that catches the wind and causes the clapper to strike the tubes), they could also bring good fortune and protect a home.  Good – that works for me too.

 In time, the Chinese modernized the windchime by the use of different sized tubes or bells to product different sounds.  They also believed the sounds frightened off evil spirits plus connected people to nature.  Check, check.



Many people (me too) like to hang them inside the house.  For myself, the ones inside have special meaning to me or the material is not suitable to our hot summer sun and high humidity.  Or, because I’m afraid they will be broken or damaged.  If you believe in such things, to increase the Feng Shui within your home, a metal, porcelain, or clay windchime can be placed in the West, Northwest and North facing windows, while a wood/bamboo chime can be placed in the East, Southeast, and South windows.  This will attract new energy, stimulate opportunities and blow away obstacles in your life.  OK – whatever works.


They are most often seen as tubes of metal or wood but can be glass, bamboo, shell, stone, earthenware, stoneware, beads, and porcelain.  If you wish to make your own – try using old silverware, keys, cookie cutters or anything else that catches your imagination. 



As I said earlier, I like the ringing tones of windchimes – usually.  However, over the past couple of months, I’ve given thought to ripping them down from around my house!  We’ve been experiencing wind – not gentle breezes – WIND.  Lots of wind.  Lots of big 20+mph wind.  I did, one evening after hearing the large chime clang and jangle all day long, take masking tape and tape all the tubes together.  Blessed silence!



But, today they are gently ringing and producing a sort of background “white noise”.  Very soothing as I work in the yard.




Take care.





No comments:

Post a Comment