Saturday, April 21, 2018

big giant box stop-n-shop



 My sister and brother-in-law are members of Costco.  Actually, back in the 1980’s, MHN and I had a membership at one also.  Of course, we had kids at home, their friends, our friends, and family, all in and out at different times so mass shopping made sense.  Back then, MHN called it the $100 store because you couldn’t get out of there without spending at least $100.  With inflation, I suspect these places are now the $200 stores.

Anyway, Ellen asked me if I wanted to come along today to Costco.  Sure.  I don’t buy much when I go – everything is packaged big and lots.  But, I still like to go and see what’s available there is to see.

Saturday is probably the day most of the world goes there.  The parking lot, which is about the size of 26 football fields was full of cars.  Everywhere.  And, Marc (who must be blessed with parking magic) found a place up close and personal. 



I know – looks like just a couple cars – no biggie.  However, if I were 6+ feet tall, you’d get a better birds eye view.  I’m not 6+ feet tall so this is what you get.

Inside there were people everywhere.  Pushing large baskets everywhere.  And I could hear more languages than I could identify.  Amazing.  It’s almost as good people watching as the airport.

I am always a little surprised at some of things for sale.  I never expect outdoor stuff like plants, yard art, tents, lawn furniture, raised flowerbed frames, fountains, bbq pits, and certainly many other things I didn’t see.




There are clothes and shoes, sox and undies, jackets and bathing suits.  I would not be surprised to find wedding dresses and tuxedos. 



Yes, there are sections I just have to stay away from – like the center kiosk with all the chocolate.  And, the books.  My brain controller starts to drool and say “but we neeeeed that (fill in the blank).




Then, of course, there is the food section.  OMG.  Such huge amounts. 

Who needs this much flour?  And, it’s in a giant paper bag for heaven sake which means, here in the humid world of Texas, it would have to be repackaged into something else that will repel both the humidity and bugs (of which we have many).  Right next to the flour was bags of powdered sugar – same size.  I wouldn’t think restaurants or bakeries shop there unless they get a commercial special price unavailable to regular people but ……. stranger things.



Then, this little thing caught my eye.  I like brownies.  And, I’m assuming that there are several packages of brownie mix inside this very large box.  But, just imagine if not – you’d have brownies out the wing-wang for weeks!  It would take days to make them all.



Once in a while I find things I just don’t recognize.  Now, I know this is a large bottle of honey.  What I didn’t know was why it’s so special with its UMF rating.  OK - UMF stands for “Unique Manuka Factor” and is a grading system developed by the UMF Honey Association in New Zealand.  Interesting.  Zip – into the useless info file.



All the shelves go right up to the very high ceiling.  And don’t you just know there is some idiot that wants a “fresh” bag of whatever from one of the unopened packages on the way-up shelf.


There were multiple traffic jams at the various corners where the sample makers were passing out various items.  Sometimes, this can be a good way to have lunch!

I did get something.  I actually was looking for a package of dried blueberries.  They are good in cereal, good in yogurt, good on salads.  But, I didn’t find any this trip.  Instead I got this – it’s full of cranberries, goji berries, mulberries, blueberries, cherries, and baoberries.  I know what everything is except the baoberries.  Should be interesting.



Finally we made our way to the check out.  This hot mess is the line at just two of the registers.  The other ten were just as bad.  Still, the line moved along quickly and we were out and gone in no time.



It’s an interesting way to spend part of the day. 

Take care.



1 comment:

  1. yes, that is his special talent or luck. the boy always finds a parking place close up.

    ReplyDelete