Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Fey, Were-wolves, Vampires, Sleuths, Inspectors, and such



I’ve read my share of “self-help” books.  You know, the “how to be a better (fill in the blank – mother, salesperson, investor, friend, neighbor, countryman) and make the writer a bazillion dollars”.  Never did enjoy those – don’t think I ever learned anything from them other than NOT READING THAT ANYMORE. 

As I have grown older, I find I don’t care too much for those books about struggle, hardship, depression, long-drawn out death, torture, pain, or “Ripped from the Headlines” types.  I’ve already read a bunch of books with those qualities.  Good books, yes but no more.  Please, just give me entertainment; something with laughter, a few tears, and a happy ending - good-guy-wins-bad-guy-loses.

  I like mysteries – not the dorky cozy type but not the torture-in-detail type either.  Something in the middle

Susan Wittig Albert
Kathy Reichs
Dan Brown
Margaret Maron
Donna Andrews
Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
Mariah Stewart
Charles Todd

And so forth.

I also like fantasy and scifi.  Give me books with were-creatures (wolves, lions, tigers, bears, oh my), vampires (not the twinkle in the sunshine type please), wizards, the fae, magic users, elves, dwarves, giants, and, of course, dragons.

Ilona Andrews
Patricia Briggs
Terry Brooks

Anne McCaffrey
JK Rowling (yes, of course I read all the Harry Potter books)

And many others.

I like to use my imagination to fill the words with pictures which is why I don’t do the doom and gloom types anymore. 

What do you like to read?


Take care.


No comments:

Post a Comment