Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Memories

  

I did write this yesterday, Monday, but didn’t manage to get the pictures scanned until today.

Light the corners of my mind
Misty water-colored memories

Today, Monday, is Memorial Day – our Remembrance Day.  It’s the day we remember and honor all those that died while in the US Armed Forces. 

It was originally called Decoration Day – a day to honor those who died during the long and terrible Civil War.  And, for many years, it was observed on May 30.  However in 1971, it was officially designated a holiday on the last Monday in May.  Today at 3pm local time, everyone should stop for a few minutes to remember. 

My daughter, Denise is here visiting.  Yesterday we got up early and drove to the beach at Matagorda. 


Matagorda is a small (pop 300) town along the gulf coast.  The Colorado River flows into the gulf at Matagorda so you have River Houses on one side and Beach Houses on the other.  But, basically, it’s your dumpy little beach town.  The positives are that it is still pretty much ignored by the masses, the beaches are nice, parking is easy, it’s mostly families down to enjoy the water, and you can buy fresh fish, shrimp, crabs, and oysters off the boat. 

Watching all the kids playing reminded me so much of my daughters and grandchildren at those ages.  All children, no matter their age, play the same at the beach –





Here lately, I’ve been experiencing some changes which made me remember something my mother told me.  My parents were born in the early 1920’s.  They were part of the “GI Generation”.   


The GI Generation (or Greatest Generation) can be roughly defined as those who were born (1905-1927) too late to serve in World War I, but early enough to experience the Great Depression and serve in World War II and Korea as they came of age.  They grew into adulthood during the prosperous years of the 1950s and 1960s.

Now, I don’t know about YOUR mother, but there were certain things MY mother did not discuss like, sex, or changes your body makes as you grow older.  The most she ever told me about growing older body changes was this:

A friend of mine, sez she, told me that she was starting to lose her hair - - “down there”.  She was extremely worried about this hair loss situation she went to her doctor.  Doctor told her it was nothing to worry about, happened to some women as they got older.  Then, said friend, went to her mother and said – MOM!  Why did you never tell me this could happen???  I was so worried!  Her mother, a sedate 80-odd year old, replied “Well, dear, your father always preferred me shaved so I wouldn’t have known”.

At which point MY mother broke out in peals of laughter that her friends’ parents would do such a thing.  She ended the story with – So, you might lose your pubic hair as you grow older. 

This was the sum total of my education on growing older (I was maybe late 30’s at the time and that didn’t sound like such a terrible thing).  Okay, let me tell you as I approach 75, there’s a lot more to growing older than losing your pubic hair.  So, I’ve decided to start a list for my children as they come into their 50’s.  So far I only have a few genuine observations so please feel free to add any.

Hot flashes never completely go away.  Never.  They may no longer awaken you from a sound sleep in a drenching sweat, but they’re always there, just waiting to catch you unawares.  One minute you will be sitting quietly and the next the fire starts in your toes and reached your scalp in 3 seconds.  And, please note, the rising heat has nothing to do with whomever you’re sitting next to and/or what’s happening in your, as my grandmother called it, hoochapappy.  Just one minute you're comfortable; the next HOT.

Gas and/or bloating problems get worse as you get older.  (Or so says my DR.)  Honestly, I’m beginning to think “well that happens as you get older” is the new catch phrase for “I have absolutely no idea at all”. 

So, I used to be able to work outside in the heat and humidity for 6-8 house with only brief stops for water or whatever.  Now, about 2 hours (maybe 3 if it’s not above 85°) and I’m done.  And likely done for the whole day, possibly part of the evening!  It’s like my entire body and brain insist that I stop and stay stopped.

Your weight and general shape can change as you get older.  And, after a certain time, fighting it to try to keep the 40-something body becomes a very very hard battle.  Heavy sigh.  Clothes I have (worn a few years back) just don’t fit quite the same.

Okay, those are the only really annoying ones.  There are a few catastrophic ones but those are more the exception than the rule.  So right now, it’s a short list.

Saturday, Denise and I went to the movie.  We saw The Lost City which stars Sandra Bullock, Channing Tatum, Daniel Radcliffe (sorry, he still looks 12), and Brad Pitt in a cameo.  It’s really funny – as in laugh out loud until tears run down your face funny. 

Then, Monday we went to see Top Gun: Maverick.  It stars Tom Cruise, Ed Harris, Val Kilmer in a cameo and a number of excellent younger actors I’m not familiar with.  It’s good and I was surprised how much I enjoyed it.  There’s just enough action, just enough sappy happy scenes, just enough romance.  Oh, I will also say, I had a couple of vertigo episodes while watching some of the flight scenes – they are spectacular, amazing, and just a bit scary.

There are only a few more days until my daughter must return to NM so I’m going to make the most of every minute!  

 


30 May 2022

4 comments:

  1. Hahahahahaha, I loved the pubic hair loss story! And the concluding Peanuts cartoon is pretty good too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grossed my grands out one day...I was talking about my walking farts and said every part of me is s78 years old..including my ahole..it's flappy and that's why I fart all the time..the seal leaks...

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear it's not just me with the gas! Nobody warned me either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As long as the hair on my head stays put I will be happy to get rid of any other hair! Yesterday as I was contorting to shave in the shower I cursed the first woman who decided that it was a good idea to shave. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete