Wednesday, May 4, 2022

The days, they run past

  

I attend yoga classes Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. 


Okay, so did you know:  There are some 28 different yoga styles.  Some have their emphasis on increasing flexibility, strength and focuses on your muscles (Yang).  Some target the deep connective tissues like fascia, ligaments, joints and bones (Yin).   

The class on Monday is more yang yoga, emphasizing flexibility and strength.  Wednesday and Thursday is yin yoga, focusing on core body strength and deep connective tissues. 

Honest to god – my mantra for both teachers/classes is

That that does not kill me, makes me stronger!

Frequently I think that surely, I’ve reached an age where I can just sit on the sofa and get fat and sassy.  Then I look outside at the yard and next thing I know, I’m out there doing yard stuff that requires me to carry heavy things, crawl around under the two porches weeding or planting, bending, balancing, and concentrating on stuff.  Guess I haven’t reached the fat and sassy age yet.

Don’t you wonder, sometimes who makes up the “this week is …..” or this day is ….?

So, this week is ----

Hurricane Preparedness Week

If you live near the coast, it’s time to prepare for a season of storms.


The years I lived in Galveston, I did all the things to prepare – had canned goods and water for a week, had batteries, flashlights, had lamp oil, had all my important papers in a single file, etc.  I don’t do those things any longer since I am 40-odd miles inland but I do watch for storms still.

International Clitoris Awareness Week

Alrightie – all I’ve got to say about that is – if you have one, you’re aware of it. 

National Root Canal Appreciation Week


Okay, a little weird.  Unfortunately, I’ve had several root canals because of an accident some time ago.  I guess I appreciate that the dentist made the pain stop and didn’t have to leave a gaping hole in my mouth but I did not appreciate the cost, discomfort or the fact that in addition to the root canal, I had to get crowns on each tooth!

Today is ----

Intergalactic Star Wars Day

May the Force Be With You!

International Respect for Chickens Day


Uhmmmm – okay, I planned on having beef stew today anyway so ….. Respecting Chickens by not having eggs for breakfast or chicken for lunch.

Finally, I finished a couple of books recently.

The Caves of Steel
Issac Asimov


A millennium into the future two advancements have altered the course of human history: the colonization of the galaxy and the creation of the positronic brain. Isaac Asimov's Robot novels chronicle the unlikely partnership between a New York City detective and a humanoid robot who must learn to work together. Like most people left behind on an over-populated Earth, New York City police detective Elijah (Life) Baley had little love for either the arrogant Spacers or their robotic companions. But when a prominent Spacer is murdered under mysterious circumstances, Baley is ordered to the Outer Worlds to help track down the killer. The relationship between Life and his Spacer superiors, who distrusted all Earthmen, was strained from the start. Then he learned that they had assigned him a partner: R. Daneel Olivaw. Worst of all was that the "R" stood for robot--and his positronic partner was made in the image and likeness of the murder victim!

This is not your usual murder mystery and several times throughout the book I thought, I think I’m done with this.  However, I persevered and . . . . it’s good.  If you decide to read it – be patient.

If I’d Killed Him When I Met Him
Sharyn McCrumb


For forensic anthropologist Elizabeth MacPherson, solving mysteries hardly seems the fun it used to be--even if she is the official private investigator for her brother Bill's fledgling Virginia law firm. Then Bill and his feminist firebrand partner, A. P. Hill, take on two complex cases that will require Elizabeth's special participation.  Eleanor Royden, a perfect lawyer's wife for twenty years, has shot her ex-husband and his beautiful late-model wife in cold blood. And Donna Jean Morgan finds herself married to a Bible-thumping bigamist who has the nerve to die in circumstances that implicate his wife.  Meanwhile, Elizabeth's forensic expertise, including her special knowledge of poisons, gives her the most challenging case of her career.  As questions of wife abuse and abandonment emerge in the court of public opinion, Elizabeth becomes a war correspondent in the battle of the sexes--a battle as old as the hills and unlikely to reach a truce any time soon.

Sharyn McCrumb has been one of my favorite writers for long years.  She wrote a series of Appalachian “ballad” novels which are excellent.  I highly recommend everyone of those.  She also wrote the Elizabeth MacPherson series.  Recently I came across one I hadn't ready and decided on it because of the title.  I can’t tell you how many times I thought those very words.  It’s good; a little funny, a little sad, a bit mysterious, and with an ok ending.

 


4 May 2022

4 comments:

  1. Your the other day is my recently. It's accurate enough since I'm not a court reporter!
    I can't just sit more than a couple of minutes unoccupied, need to move, do things. I haven't done yogs in a long while, switched to Eight Pieces of Silk. Similar in some ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. International Clitoris Awareness Week!?!? Why have I never heard of this before? I'm making a note of it so that next year, I can celebrate with a WHOLE WEEK of blog posts! Yes, be afraid, be very afraid, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A girlfriend with perfect teeth and no dental work past cleaning for fifty odd years just had several root canals and crowns to repair damage from a fall. I guess there is karma, but I still felt terribly sorry for her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A. I'm already fat & sassy & I'm younger than you are. I win? No? B. I don't understand that they act like the root canal is the only thing you'll need to have done. It's like, oh yeah, you also have to spend twice as much more to put a cap on your tooth because we don't include that (& some of them don't even DO it - you have to see someone else. C. I think A.P. Hill was a Civil War general, but don't quote me on that...

    ReplyDelete