Monday, June 6, 2022

Bustin’ Out All Over

  

June is . . . . . .

I have spent the past 10 days working outside . . . . in the extreme heat . . . . lifting heavy plants, digging in the clay we call dirt, carrying heavy bags of garden soil, and fun stuff like that.  I’m pretty sure I get an “ATTA GIRL”. 


You’d think I’d lose weight.  I mean – all that stuff – lifting, digging, etc – is exercise, right?  Add in the sweating and – lose weight – right?  No.

I am pleased though.  The yard is officially done for summer. 


The herb garden looks nice – all is growing well.  I have herbs out the wing-wang.  I may have made a bit of a judgement error though.  I planted sunflowers this year.  In the herb garden.  On purpose.  It’s been many years since I planted sunflowers so I think I forgot how big they get.  Really big – like 10 feet tall big.


But, they are pretty and, oddly enough, are shading the herbs (good when our temps are reaching 100° - in JUNE). 

I swore, when I moved here, I was not going to have many, many flower beds.  So, instead, with the exception of the herb garden, I’ve sprinkled planters around the yard.


Yes, yes – that is a child’s wading pool.  BUT is cost me $7 and a planter that size would be $75.      (put Ato – po tot o). 

In one planter (do not burst my bubble - planter) I’ve planted daylilies.  This is a new one – pretty, yes?


Saturday I had my third Earth Lab at Hesed House of Wharton (our community outreach program).  It was on Beekeeping and our speaker,


Ed, gave us a lot of information about bees.  For instance – at least here in TX, in some instances, bees are considered livestock and the owner can apply for an ag exemption.  Who knew you could “wrangle” bees?  Other things we learned – there’s a difference between a hive, a swarm, and a colony.  Also, like any livestock, hive bees do occasionally require “hands-on” attention if there are pests, predators, and diseases.  You can buy queen bee pheromones, which can help control the hive.  And, if you walk outside and see this –


hanging on your fence or house, you probably want to call an expert to come and rehome them (not pest control, instead look for local beekeepers).

I think the rest of my summer will be spent coddiwompling around stopping at fun places like the grocery store, post office, or bank.  Ah yes, exciting life here in big W.


One more thing, completely unrelated to anything else and because it made me cringe and laugh at the same time.

 


6 Jun 2022

14 comments:

  1. My Goddess! You sound like me. I've been moving plants and repotting since god was a baby. Anywho, I have a few geraniums left to repot and I'm going to have to thin out my Boston ferns. They have gotten just a bit too thick. I planted all the sweet potato slips -finally. So they should put out a fine crop this fall for me and my neighbors. You were talking about bees, I saw a really good show on bee keeping from a place called Bee2Bee in Houston. They will teach you to become a bee keeper. The show was quite interesting though. They raise queens that are mailed out around Texas for keepers to introduce to their hives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to feel that what's done is done for the summer. It doesn't have to be Texas hot for me to decide I'm done out of doors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. yeah -- I don't like gelatin type things in general and that one puts me off completely!

      Delete
  4. Your gardens are looking good! I made the mistake last year of letting sunflowers from bird seed grow too close to the edge of the sidewalk. It wasn't too bad until after they flowered and started leaning and drying out. I'm not letting that happen this year! I'm still not done planting garden, I may say heck with trying for much this year - no carrots, beets, green/wax beans, etc.
    That is a very pretty daylily.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Forgot to say - that potluck dish looks very much like something from the old Jello recipe books. Except maybe those didn't have kiwi fruit in them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ATTA GIRL! Your herb garden looks great, although you may want to have a doctor examine those herbs out the wing-wang. Your wading pool planters are sheer genius and that day lily is gorgeous. I like the terms "bee wrangling" and "coddiwomple." You've improved my vocabulary -- thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is that....KIWI...on the sides of that jello mold? Ick ick ick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Bug says ick on a weird food combo? That should be right up your alley.

      Delete
    2. Well, after I wrote that I thought that kiwi might add a nice tang to the dish. However, I HATE olives, so that monstrosity would be a no. Ha!

      Delete
  8. Even had that jello mold appeared on a childhood potluck table, it would have been untouched.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think your herb garden looks great, and they are so good to use when cooking.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. it's too fecking hot to do anything...I sits on my ass..

    ReplyDelete