Sunday, May 1, 2022

Beltane! May Day! Spring!

 

 

Bless, O threefold true and bountiful,
Myself, my spouse, my children.
Bless everything within my dwelling and in my possession,
Bless the kine and crops, the flocks and corn,
From Samhain Eve to Beltane Eve,
With goodly progress and gentle blessing,
From sea to sea, and every river mouth,
From wave to wave, and base of waterfall.

Be the Maiden, Mother, and Crone,
Taking possession of all to me belonging.
Be the Horned God, the Wild Spirit of the Forest,
Protecting me in truth and honor.
Satisfy my soul and shield my loved ones,
Blessing every thing and every one,
All my land and my surroundings.
Great gods who create and bring life to all,
I ask for your blessings on this day of fire.

Am Beannachadh Bealltain
From Carmina Gadelica
a book of poems and prayers that
folklorist Alexander Carmichael
collected from residents
in various areas of Scotland.

Borage

Yarrow

My herb garden

Officially, spring is here!  Those that live in the frozen northlands (and for us here, that’s anyplace north of Dallas), shouldn’t have to worry about more snow and ice (though, I’m not sure it applies to Montana as the nights are still in the mid-30’s).  So today go pick flowers for your home or to wear, dance around the Maypole, talk to and hug a tree, make fairy cakes.


My brother was here for a week recently.  He lives far away in the frozen northlands of Washington.


(Okay, he’s a little older than the above picture but not much.)  He was here for several reasons – to visit with my sister and I, to attend his mumble-mumble high school reunion, and to make arrangements to have a piece for furniture shipped to his home.  As always it was a good visit.  I don’t get to see (as in be able to touch) him as often as I’d like, but with the magic of ‘face time’, I do get to talk-see with him throughout the year.  We didn’t do too much interesting and exciting this visit.  He did build something for me though.  When this house was put in, we had to get a septic system installed (city does not extend sewer this far).  It looks something like this …


And, because of the location of various drains, etc, it was installed in the middle of the back yard.  Not very attractive.  Not much I could do with it.  So he built me a cap that covers a good part of it. And, gives me a place for plants.

Nice! 

And, that’s just about all I know so far today. 

Oh – one more thing - yesterday was my little sister’s birthday.  She’s mumble-mumble years old now.


THAT’S all I know.

 


1 May 2022

6 comments:

  1. Happy birthday Ellen! via Pam..and happy Beltane to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My, you have such YOUTHFUL looking siblings! I'm sure you are similar. I loved reading the ancient poem/prayer at the start of your post -- Happy Beltane/May Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy May Day, and have a great month ahead.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. That photo is very Ellen :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the poem. I also like flowers, making cakes and trees, but I'm not sure about hugging them! That was a nice thing for your brother to do

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful herb garden! Happy May day.

    ReplyDelete