Monday, May 2, 2022

Memories

  

Isn’t it odd how the memory works?  Yesterday was laundry day at my house.  My current dryer is a bit frustrating because it does not buzz or beep or make any noise when it’s finished.

And, while I’d like to say this is not a problem, sometimes I forget about it and things I want to get to immediately upon drying (hang up or fold up without a bazillion wrinkles) remain sitting quietly in the dryer for a couple hours.

So – what’s the ‘memory’ part?

I was sitting on the sofa, waiting on the dryer and lamenting that it doesn’t buzz and


When I was a very young girl, my mother had a Westinghouse dryer.  


When the cycle completed rather than beep or buzz, it played a tune.

The tune?  Well – “How Dry I Am” of course.  (And did you know – this is a real song written by Irving Berlin? It’s a long song and it’s about alcohol.)  

I remember asking about the song and my mother told me it was too naughty to repeat.  This, of course, stirred up my curiosity so later I asked my best friend.  She sang me the more common lyrics -

How dry I am.  How wet I’ll be,
if I don’t find a place to pee!

Now, I don’t know if the ‘naughty’ part was the fact that the song was about drinking alcohol or needing to pee.  (Know my mother, I lean toward the second option.)

What odd memory has popped up unlooked for in your head?



 2 May 2022

3 comments:

  1. A dryer playing "How Dry I Am" -- that's TOO funny! My dryer doesn't beep or play a tune or anything else; it just stops when it's done. No imagination, my dryer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is hilarious! I wish we could engineer ours to play a tune.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our dryer plays a run of five tones, very faintly. I kind of miss the loud buzz because it was easy to hear.
    I love the septic tank cover, that was nicely done by your brother.

    ReplyDelete