Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Age and other stuff

  

Well, I had planned for this bit of writing to go up yesterday.  By “planned” I mean, I thought about it for a day or so.  Obviously mental planning and actually putting fingers to keyboard are not the same thing.

This past weekend I drove over to San Antonio to visit with granddaughter #1.  It’s not a bad drive – about 3 hours and it was a delightful visit. 

And, while there we ran a few errands to places I don’t have access to here in small town Texas and we went to several small Farmer’s Markets.


They seem to just pop-up all around SA.  Mostly they are all the same – almost no produce and lots handmade and/or resale items.  I liked these -

Potters on the Creek
FB.me/pottersonthecreek

These are little windchimes.  And they're very cute.  And, I'm sorry I didn't get myself one.

And in the “you never know what you’ll see” vein . . .

Drew’s Mobile Hookah Lounge

 Alrightie then.

“The mission of Drew’s Mobile Hookah Lounge is to provide a comfortable environment, sometimes relaxing and sometimes energetic and stimulating, around which those who love hookah smoking, as well as new converts, can come together.”

According to granddaughter, the mobile lounge is parked there every weekend.  I have to say, this is something I’ve never seen before and have to think it would be a terrible, awful, eye-burning, choking, bad, unpleasant, disagreeable, horrible experience.  Of course, I’ve never smoked  - - -  but, hmmm, no – see above.

We went over to The Pearl Sunday morning. 


Back in 1883, this was the site of the J.B. Behloradsky Brewery, which later became the San Antonio Brewing Company.  The most popular beer produced was – yes – Pearl so called because the brewmaster thought the foamy bubbles in the poured beer looked like little pearls.  It was such a popular beer the brewery was renamed The Pearl Brewery.  Eventually it was bought by Pabst Brewing Company which closed in early 2000.  Nowadays, it’s a unique location filled with restaurants, cafes, shops, and apartments.  And, on weekends, they also have a large Farmer’s Market.  Like the small ones around town, not much produce this time of the year but lots of vendors with things to sell.  A part of the San Antonio River courses through the old brewery and it’s been turned into a nice, less crowded river walk.


And we saw

a little waterfall


a Yellow Crowned Night Heron (maybe)

Cattails


Cannas


Muscovy Red Faced Ducks

As I said at the start, it was a very nice visit and the reason for going was not only to see my granddaughter but also to celebrate

my BIRTHDAY, which was yesterday.

And, I’d like to say that the reason I didn’t get this posted up yesterday was because I was out running the streets like a wild woman . . . but no.  It rained almost all day so instead I decided to do laundry and other housey things. 

Aging is, you know, a weird thing.  I stay busy, exercise daily, garden, and generally think I can do all sorts of things that, on occasion, my body responds with – Have You Lost Your Mind???  I’m Not Doing That!  Still, I am maintaining my aunts’ attitude on getting older.

Never sit down.  Never stop.

She died at age 96.  So I’ve got at least another 20-odd years before getting old.

 


29 Jun 2021

6 comments:

  1. Happy birthday! Sounds like great celebration, complete with the right attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday. Keep your feet happy and under you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Yes, always stay active and feisty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I have to agree with Aunty Acid. Happy belated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Auntie. Happy birthday! It sounds like a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy late birthday! I am in BIG TROUBLE because I don't follow your aunt's advice AT ALL. She says, from her recliner where she has been all afternoon. (To be fair, I have also chopped up fruit, done the dishes, changed the towels, and put fresh sheets on the beds.)

    ReplyDelete