Sunday, June 13, 2021

Hot and Humid and Wet

  

I know – MIA again.  However, now that High Summer has arrived, I should be back on the air again.

Yard Work Time! -oh goodie

My May and June mornings started early – 7:30am-ish when the temps were only 80° with 90% humidity.  I spent much of May and the first few days of June working like a wild woman trying to 1 dodge rainstorms and 2 whip the yard into shape and 3 deal with the new experience of container gardening (something that is still a challenge).  The rain (and folks, we’ve had more than a lot) has awakened the mosquitoes which have been out in force and - honest to god – big enough to carry off good-sized dogs and small children.


Oh! and before I forget.  I have a third graduate to celebrate.  My youngest granddaughter has just graduated from high school and will be on her way to Ohio State in the fall.  As you can see from the picture, she is certainly a prodigy as I’m pretty sure she’s not much older than this . . . .


Uhh – where was I?  Oh yes.  Since May we’ve had something like 82 inches of rain.  OK, maybe not quite that much but we’ve had a lot.  I try very hard to not say negatives things about the rain because you just never know if the Controller-of-the-Spigot is listening.  Wouldn’t want it totally shut-off because, come August, we’ll be doing rain dances and shaking the old rain stick (and yes, I have one and yes, I’ve taken it out and given it many good shakes to entice the gods to turn on the water). 

Then, when outside I’ve . . . . well, I’ve done a lot and it’s kept me busy for 2-4 hours each day, after which, I have dragged myself in and am pretty much useless the rest of the day. 

But, we reached a milestone this weekend.  High Summer has arrived and it is too damn hot to spend more than 35 minutes outside without suffering heat stroke.  So, done until it cools down some – probably November.

In addition to much yard work, I’ve also had visitors.


My oldest granddaughter came over from San Antonio for a visit.  Then, my oldest grandson surprised me with a visit.  And, my daughter from NM came over and stayed 2 weeks.  She works from here during the week and then we spend evenings and weekends doing stuff. 

And, I’ve had time to catch-up with my reading list. 

I’ll have lots to share over the coming days.

Living here in small town Texas, you never know just what you’ll see down the road.

There was a venue (cast, committee, meal, vortex, wake) of vultures just past my driveway the other day.  That’s ok as street clean-up is in their job description.


Then, while out walking recently, we saw this guy.  Probably trying to talk the chickens in the yard to share their dinner.


And, with all the rain, the Colorado is, once again, a mighty river rushing down toward the Gulf of Mexico.


And, that’s all for today as I have to go deal with the washer.

And vacuum.

Dust.

and other housy things.


 

13 Jun 2021

5 comments:

  1. Vultures and peacocks -- talk about one extreme to the other!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see you back. Complete with peacocks and monsoons and precocious graduations. Your family gets through their credentials at warp speed..

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I was pleased with 12" of rain over the last several months. I believe 82" would have put our rive up to the top of the valley.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'm going to use your excuse for not working in the yard the rest of the summer - it's too hot in Texas! (This is as opposed to my usual excuse which is I'm too lazy.).

    Speaking of lazy, I'm pretty sure I haven't dusted since April. Oops.

    ReplyDelete
  5. we're going to have to figure out a middle town between you and me and have a nice glass of ice tea..or you could come here and I'll buy you a skunk egg.

    ReplyDelete