Friday, June 25, 2021

Friday

  

Just to finish up loose ends –

 A little while back I mentioned the next “leftover” project would be a basket.  Well, I finished it.  One of the less attractive things I’ve made because it’s a Leftover Basket made with many different yarns.  There are three different strands in each stitch and colors were added when others finished.  Hard to tell the by the picture but there is gray, dark turquoise, blue, red, gold, green, brown, and a little yellow.


Still, I am pleased and it holds all the misc yarn still in my stash. 

The first of this month our garden club held its annual Tomato Fest.  In past years members brought home grown tomatoes to the meeting.  They were cut up and set out for taste testing and the best tasting tomato of Wharton County was determined by vote.  Well, with the plague and all, the taste testing was dropped and this year tomatoes were brought in to be judged based on new categories – Biggest, Smallest, Prettiest, Ugliest, Strangest.  Those participating brought in a tomato or three and determined which category it fit into and put it there to be judged.  I brought in two – a Purple Calabash and a Matts Wild Cherry.


I won second place for Ugliest!  It’s the Purple Calabash.  That was the only tomato the plant produced.  Grrrrrrr.  So, I pulled it up and threw it on the burn pile.

In early in June I noticed the yard was all a-jump with these little guys.  Every step had them hopping every which-a-way.  There are still quite a few of these Texas Toads hopping around.  Good!  They eat bugs! 


What else . . . .

Well, today is The Day of the Seafarer (honestly, sounds like an old horror film The Day of the Triffids, comes to mind).  But, no . . . .

“This is day for seafarers of all stripes, from Coast Guards, to Navies, to every fisherman and marine biologist and cruise ship captain. If your job involves a large quantity of salt water, then this day is dedicated to you. The first documented sea voyage was made around 3200 BCE, and was bankrolled by the Egyptian Pharaoh Snefru. Today, over 90% of global trade is done by sea, since it is still the most cost-effective way to transport goods. Marine biologists and oceanographers from every country have dedicated their lives to learning more about the ocean depths, and humans from every walk of life keep going to the sea to explore the planet.”


Sea Fever

John Masefield

I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,

And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,
And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea's face, and a grey dawn breaking.

I must down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull's way and the whale's way where the wind's like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.

Today is also Leon Day!


I had to look it up.

Today is a day, long anticipated by those who countdown to Christmas: it’s Leon Day.  Leon Day marks the exact half way mark to Christmas.  It’s all downhill from here.  Why is it called Leon Day?

 

Are you ready for the answer?

 

Really ready?

 

Okay - - - -

 

Leon is Noel spelled backwards.

 


And, I’m done for today!

 

25 Jun 2021

6 comments:

  1. Leon Day, GROAN!!!! And congrats on 2nd place for Ugliest Tomato!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A ribbon for an ugly tomato! It doesn't get better than that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the poem. Just reading it is a thrill.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't even want to think of Christmas at this time of year!
    Wow, you can already taste and judge tomatoes at the beginning of June? That would be easy here - smallest and tiniest would be the only category (beside non-existent, of course). My tomatoes aren't doing anything this year. I have a couple Sungold by now, but that's it. How great to get a ribbon for an ugly tomato!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leon day - ha! It should be "crafters start to panic" day.

    I love toads - we have one that comes out at night & sits on our back steps. I can't figure out how to get a picture because of course as soon as we open the door he hops away...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and I LOVE your basket! Can you tell me where to get the pattern?

      Delete