Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Weather



Merriam-Webster
1 : the state of the atmosphere with respect to heat or cold, wetness or dryness, calm or storm, clearness or cloudiness
2 : disagreeable atmospheric conditions: such as
a : rain, storm
b : cold air with dampness 
     (hellloooo – you forgot one – hot air with dampness)

Yeah, ok.  We have that here.  However, of all the places I’ve lived (and I know that’s not so many), the weather here is, has been (as long as I’ve been), and (I’m sure) will continue to be just a little odd, undependable, frustrating and frequently, down-right annoying.  For instance, when the first day of Fall arrives, we do NOT put away shorts and tee’s, we do NOT bring out sweaters and jeans, or, the good gods forbid, we do NOT turn off the AC.



The first day of fall this year was September 22.  Today is October 16.  The past three weeks (with the exception of maybe two days of cool mornings morphing into hot afternoons), we’ve been having Summer.  Indian Summer – sure, whatever you want to call it but Summer nonetheless.  Again, for instance, this past Sunday, October 15, the temperature was 90° with 80% humidity. 

Summertime and the livin’ is easy ….

Monday morning, I walked outside at 6am into the hot wet blanket of weather (the one Merriam-Webster forgot – hot air with dampness).  Ick.  75°; 80% humidity.  Mosquitoes hovering waiting for breakfast.  I came back inside.

Then the wind started blowing – knocked over all my potted plants, knocked branches out of the pecan trees, rattled all my many wind chimes – and when I looked at the thermometer at 7am, the temperature was 57°.  Odd as that sounds, it’s pretty normal; temperature dropping 20 or more degrees in an hour or less.

So, now we are having Fall!  Yea!  Hopefully it is going to stay Fall and we will not backslide to Summer again.  And, about Fall here on the Texas Gulf Plains.  Wouldn’t we all just love to look out the back window to this …..

Actually, this is at my son’s house in VA

Of course, that’s not the case.  We look out to this …..

I know, looks like summer BUT there are a few leaves in the grass!


Okay, okay, it could be worse.  We could be looking out to this …….

This was the year we lived in CO

I don’t try second-guessing the weather.  So, right now, as of today, my closet thinks I have a lot of clothes but really Summer and Winter are hanging side-by-side.  Capris next to jeans, tank tops next to long sleeves.  Today it’s very overcast and chilly so, long sleeves are the choice but by the weekend things will change and we’ll be back to tee’s. 

Take care



No comments:

Post a Comment