Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Not Much

  

exciting – not much exciting going on around here. 

 Although, first of all - - -

I have a carport! 

Yay!  In case you’re wondering why, the front panel is longer than the others, it’s because the front faces west.  And, with no big trees (yet) to break up the very hot sun rays, it gets to be somewhere between “pretty damn hot” and “ohmigod I think I have 2nd degree burns on my derriere” in the car. 

I would like to say it went in without a hiccup.  That was (of course) not the case.  But, in order to not have any more heart burn, all I’ll say is DO NOT EVER use a company called Star Buildings and Carports out of Nacogdoches, TX.

The shims finally arrived and I spent Monday and Tuesday working on the walkway up to the stairs.  I still need a couple 3 more bags of pebbles but you get the idea.


It was hard work and I spent several hours lifting 500 lb stepping stones, moving 300 lb landscaping rocks, and putting out 150 lbs of pebbles, but I’m happy with the look.  Possibly I exaggerated the weight – possibly not.  I came inside after crawling around outside with a single thought

I am too old to do this sort of work! 
At 74 aren’t I supposed to be in the “golden” part? 

Honestly – my back, shoulders, wrists, and knees still hurt!  Oh well, as my aunt that lived well into her 90’s said – the secret to long life is never slow down. 

And, another good thing.


The screened-in back porch is under way.  Maybe finished by the weekend or early next week.  Everybody – keep you fingers crossed for me!!

What else?  Well, I moved the plumerias into one of the bays of my sister shop.  Come November, plumerias go dormant, lose their leaves, and need little water or light.  And, while we haven’t had any cold weather, I know from experience, those sneaky cold fronts can arrive with minimal notice.  I do not want to try moving said plumerias in the cold, rain, and dark (which I have done too many times when I was younger). 


Uhmmm, let see -  – I noticed my Devil’s Trumpet is blooming.  Datura, also known as thornapple, jimsonweed, or devil’s trumpet, is a member of the Solanaceae family (which includes nightshade, tomatoes, potatoes, and chili peppers).  Personally, I’d put the chili peppers with datura and nightshade as being dangerous to your health and well-being, however that’s just me.  If you do grow this plant, be sure to remember it can cause respiratory depression, arrhythmias, fever, delirium, hallucinations, psychosis, and even death if taken internally.  So, don't eat this.  Don't pick the flowers.  Just enjoy its beauty outside.

I got my covid booster yesterday.  No negative reactions or it could be that all my muscles and bones still hurt from carrying very heavy rocks, etc and I just am not noticing anything else.  But I am, I hope, as immune as possible.

Daryl, the teleporting cat, managed to teleport himself from the living room out the back door the other day.  Honestly, for a fat cat he is fast and can get through small openings.  Anyway, he got out and headed for the canopy under which sit all my shade loving plants.  I was right behind him.  However, the two big dogs next door saw him through the fence and barked.  Daryl skidded to a halt, looked over there and saw dogs AND a male human person (my neighbor), turned tail and was back up the stairs to the door (lemme in, lemme in). 


He hasn’t tried to get out again.

Well – that’s all I know so far today. 

 


10 Nov 21

9 comments:

  1. Man, I'm 10 years younger than you but I know I couldn't keep up with you in the physical labour department! How do you do it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. About that long life idea. I think working as hard as this just makes your life seem very very long! That said, the walkway is looking great and I expect it's a one time effort, except maybe pebbles have to be raked and renewed or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Things are looking good at the old homestead! So glad you finally got your carport. I will try to remember to not eat the pretty flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Pam, all that activity, the walkway does look good. I often tell myself that I'm too old to be doing this, then do it anyway. I'm usually wiped out the next day though! Glad you got your carport. I don't know, and don't want to know how to use tiktok. Love your cat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I truly admire you lugging those stepping stones and pebbles. I created a dry spot near my spigot this summer with 2 stones and one bag of pebbles. My son just happened to visit me and he carried them from front driveway to backyard for me. So glad he happened to drop by, Rocks are heavy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hoyshit..I know I'm to old for that shit..

    ReplyDelete