Thursday, February 11, 2021

Winter

  

So remember the other day when I posted two weather related pictures?  One of THEN and the other, COMING-SOON?

Then

Coming-Soon

 

Well, Coming-Soon is here.

Fri 12   43°/37°

Sat 13   42°/33°

Sun 14   46°/23°

Mon 15   28°/14°
AM Wintry Mix

Tue 16   43°/35°

Wed 17   60°/32°

Thu 18   47°/28°

Fri 19   59°/39°  

Sat 20    

Spring Returns!



Please make arrangement to have it hauled back to the frozen northlands
 as soon as possible.  Thank you.

Today I started making freeze and “Wintery Mixture” plans.  Went to the other house where I turned up the heat and turned off the water.  All the topicals planted there are likely to freeze to the ground and maybe come back in the spring but not holding my breath.  At the new house, I spent several hours moving a few plants either inside or into the (now) heated shed.  Then covered all the newly planted trees and shrubs.  And finally I covered those container plants that are outside.


Said good-bye to the Pachira aquatica (or Money Tree).  It’s over 7 feet tall and too hard for me to move alone.  Pachira aquatica, is a tree that grows in the swamps of Central and South America.  I had planned to plant it in the ground eventually which would give it a better chance of surviving our usually spotty winter.  I will try to cover the container and its roots but I hold little hope for its survival. 

Today we’re supposed to have a toasty high temp of 41° though, so far (and it’s a now after 2pm) we’ve not gotten out of the 30’s.  And, I’m sure someone, somewhere is saying/thinking – “Really??? Not getting out of the 30’s – boo hoo.  Try not getting out of single digits!!” 

Yes, BUT I live in South Central Texas a mere 40 miles from the warm Gulf of Mexico. 


Whine, whine, whine.

Well, I am off to sit in my recliner with a blanket, two cats and a cut of hot tea. 

Stay warm!

11 February 2021

9 comments:

  1. Hoy, no sending your unwanted weather here, missy!

    I like your final comment. Very cosy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Siiiiiiighhhh. Fine, ok, we'll deal, no problem, sigh, sigh.

      Delete
  2. Message from Canada -- NO! YOU KEEP IT! WE'VE ALREADY GOT ALL THE COLD WEATHER WE CAN HANDLE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well - fine but could you please just shut the door between you and the north pole? Someone obviously left it open!

      Delete
  3. Here's something I figured out too late: If you run out of newspapers and sheets, you can always zip up your hoodie around a plant. Sorry for the day of discomfort.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How can it go from 28 to 60 in two days?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean it doesn't do that everywhere???? No? well welcome to south Texas.

      Delete
  5. I'm just glad this shit is almost over.

    ReplyDelete