Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Survive!

  

Well, yes – that sounds a bit dramatic, specially to anyone living north of Dallas (aka The Frozen Northlands).  However, this weather is just TERRIBLE, AWFUL, SCARY, AND *^&%$#()!!!! COLD.

And, I’m ready for it to go away now.


While I don’t dislike a normal winter (50’s day to low 40’s night with the occasional dip to 32°), this nonsense of highs in the 20’s and dropping into the teens is unacceptable.  Of course, if I lived someplace north of Dallas, everything (like the house, water lines, my clothes) would be better able to handle these ridiculous temperatures.  But . . . .

I have been lucky though.  Haven’t lost power and hopefully won’t lose power.  And, I did shut the water off at the meter Sunday afternoon.  Not to worry though.  I live in hurricane country and know how to prepare for no water/electricity.  Filled the bath tub and every container I have with water and can flush toilets, wash hands/face, and deal with dishes.  Found my flashlights and put them in handy places.  And, since cold could be an issue, made sure all my blankets/quilts were ready to be put into use. 


630am Monday

The Demon Duo do not know what to make of that white stuff.  They stare intently through the window at it.


Yesterday morning long about 7-ish in the morning, I decided to go outside and take pictures of the snow.  (We don’t get snow very often so everyone here tends to be a bit stupid about it).  The glass door was frozen shut.  Hmmm.  Gave it a couple of good thumps and it popped open.  Wearing sweatpants/shirt and SANDALS (I live in the south!!!!!), I stepped out onto the front porch.  It was 15°.



Turned back to the glass door and - - - couldn’t open the door.  The latch was frozen.  Many things went through my mind.  I had my phone.  Could call my sister (who would still be asleep) – no.  So, I slogged around to the back yard and the shed, found a small leather mallet, and gave the latch a good whack!  And, it opened without a problem. 

No more snow but lots of ice this morning.



I am ready for it to go away.

After this, I do not know much.  Oh – I did finish a book yesterday.


Hold Back the Dark (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit) by Kay Hooper

Madness has taken ahold in Prosperity, North Carolina. Residents are killing one another, as if in a nightmare, and waking up with no memory of the monstrous acts they've committed--or why. As the death toll climbs, the local Sheriff calls for help in the form of The Special Crimes Unit. It will take all their training, all their experience, and every extra sense they can call on to get to the bottom of things in Prosperity. And as a dark pattern begins to emerge, even the most experienced and hardened SCU agents have to wonder if this is beyond their understanding.

OK – I always think I’m going to like these books.  In truth, I seldom do.  I mean each member of the SCU is a psychic.  Some have extraordinary powers.  Just the kind of book I’d like!  However, the author gives the reader a tremendous amount of descriptive information on each power each agent has – over and over again.  Also on the relationships between agents over and over again.  The actual story – the mystery – gets lost in the agent’s interactions with their abilities and with each other.  Then, it seems, the author realizes she has used up her number of words/pages and hurriedly ends the story.  Disappointing.

And, that’s all for today.  Stay warm out there everyone!  And don’t look at the news.  It’s all frustrating, irritating, sad, and stress inducing.


16 February 2021

3 comments:

  1. OK - I had this series on my list, but I'm crossing it off now. Stay safe & warm! We've been left out of this round of polar vortex and this is me telling the universe: I AM FINE WITH THAT THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stay safe and warm! Try thawing out your glass door along its seams and latch with a hair dryer, but be sure to dry off the resulting moisture with a towel so it doesn't refreeze.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so lucky I never lost power...the goddess does have a sense of humor.. all the Catholics in town lost power...just saying.

    ReplyDelete