Thursday, November 19, 2020

Days and Days – again

 

Earlier in the week, I got up early and because it was really chilly, I put on sweatpants and sweatshirt.  By 930, I had to change to jeans and a light weight long sleeved shirt.  By noon – shorts and tee-shirt.  And by 7pm, lightweight long pants and shirt.  Welcome to Fall in south central Texas. 

 

I finally decided on and ordered a shed!  Yay!  People – this is a big deal.  You don’t just, well at least I don’t, walk out and buy a shed in the same way you’d buy a hammer – (uh yep, I’ll take that one with the red handle).  And, just in case you ever plan to order a shed, here’s what I learned –

 

There are a number of manufacturers that deliver the shed, complete and ready to use.  They build to your specifications off-site and deliver it with a large tilt-truck.  There are several companies here in Wharton that rep at least three different manufacturers and all are pretty pricey.  The biggest negative for me?  No way can a tilt-truck get where I want the shed to be without running over a vegetable garden, peach tree and blueberry bushes.  So, no to that.

 

Then, you can buy sheds at Amazon!  Who knew??  There are a bunch of companies; a variety of sizes, options, prices.  The biggest negatives??  (1) you have to have a subfloor built and in place and (2) it arrives in four+ big boxes.  Yeah - - - no.  I did the math and by the time I hired someone to build the subfloor AND put the damn thing together, it would be right up there with pretty pricey.  Plus my niece confirmed that I absolutely did not want to do that (voice of experience) because there are 80 bizillion nuts, bolts, and screws you have to keep up with.

 

Finally I went back to my original choice – Tuffshed.  And, while they are also pricey, and it comes in pieces to be assembled on-site, it also comes with however many people necessary to build it where I want it.  The TS people called to schedule installation – December 15 - - - DECEMBER.  Ugh – I was hoping for something sooner but no.

 

Currently, I have a Christmas tree standing in the living room.  No lights.  No ornaments (I know . . . . we haven’t even had Thanksgiving!).  It is standing there to get the Demon Duo time to get used to the fact that there is a tree in the living room.  I was gone for three weeks last Christmas so didn’t put up a tree.  Therefore, if they are going to try to climb it or knock it over, I’d like that to happen now when there is no glass involved. 

 

Several weeks ago I got my hair cut.  And, a week ago, I got it cut again – shorter please.  It’s messy looking – yes – supposed to be that way as I have absolutely no skill in styling, curling, or getting it to fall back in place when windblown.  My stylist calls it a short shag and I like it! 

 

As far as I could see – 18-wheelers and cars all stopped.

 I drove into Rosenberg the other day.  It’s about a 25-mile drive.  Took me ONE HOUR AND FIFTEEN MINUTES.  Argh.  The powers-that-control-the-highways have decided to build a new highway, an interstate that will run from Canada to Mexico.  And part of it will run along Highway 59 (aka the Southwest Freeway).  Consequently, H59 has been in a state of complete and total chaos forever.  In the case of this particular day – one lane had been closed while the highwayfixit guys were moving giant pieces of cement and then, a mile or so further up, oh goodie, an 18-wheeler had a crash.  So, we had to all move to the left and then all move to the right and creep along at 3 mph.

 

After reading The Passage Trilogy (see Books – Good, Bad, Scary, Fun), I went completely noir.  And, read three Nero Wolfe books.  Fer-De-Lance, Not Quite Dead Enough, and Champagne for One (author – Rex Stout). 

 Nero Wolfe is, a brilliant, oversized, eccentric armchair detective created in 1934 by American mystery writer Rex Stout. Wolfe was born in Montenegro and keeps his past murky. He lives in a luxurious brownstone on West 35th Street in New York City, and he is loath to leave his home for business or anything that would keep him from reading his books, tending his orchids, or eating gourmet meals. Archie Goodwin, Wolfe's sharp-witted, dapper young confidential assistant with an eye for attractive women, narrates the cases and does the legwork for the detective genius.

 You know what the best thing about those books is?  The good guys always win and neither Nero or Archie ever age.

 I started a new exercise regime.  Well hopefully I have – good intentions and all that.  Anyway, I found a program on YouTube I really like called Fabulous50.  There are a variety of shows which include abs, cardio, balance, walking, and weights, each ranging from 15 to 30 minutes.  The one today was a 30-minute program of walking, weights and cardio.  Boy!  I was huffing and puffing at the end!  Sometimes my brain and my body are in an age warp.  My brain sez – Easy peasy! You can do this!!!!!  My body sez What! Are you nuts!

 


20 Nov 2020

10 comments:

  1. Oh, Nero Wolfe and his orchids! I read a number of those books a long time ago and remember enjoying them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to love Nero Wolfe, the snappy dialog, the orchids, and as you say, the non aging.

    In NJ you don't count travel by miles but by time -- congested State -- and I live eg half an hour from my doctor, who's about 8 miles away. I guess your snails pace would feel annoying but normal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the same way in Houston. I've lived away from the city and traffic a long time now so I forget.

      Delete
  3. Your new shed looks like it will be ideal! I love your haircut. I was saying on Ellen's blog that I think I look better with longer hair, but I'm not all that happy about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your hair cut.
    I also like the look of your new shed.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. And here I thought that slippery truck was in your very own back yard.
    Nero Wolf was the best. I must try him again.
    So, how's it going with the demon duo and the tree?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Other than to chew on a few lower branches, they seem to be uninterested. Next week I'm adding flashing lights.

      Delete
  6. I had my hair cut in a similar fashion last week too. It's got to be easy to look after.

    Nero sounds interesting as does the exercise program. I might have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I looove that haircut..wow..new shed and new haircut at same time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wise Idea to get potential Tree climbing Cats used to the Tree just being there before there is Glass involved! We've had a lot of Felines but only one was a Tree Climber and while she was Alive we had to wire the Trees to the Ceiling and keep Bells on the lower Branches to warn us when she was up to no good. That Cat lasted over 20 Years so it was a lot of Wired Up Trees!

    ReplyDelete