Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Interesting stuff - again

 Living in a small town has its good and bad.  Bad:  there’s not very much fun to do, specially now when going out is such a crapshoot.  Good:  when you get ready to vote early, in what is touted to be an earth-shaking election, you don’t have to wait in line more than 5 minutes.  Maybe not so much a ‘good’ thing.  But anyway, I voted today!

 

 

Another interesting thing about living here – you never know what you’ll see.  Today, at our local Walmart, I saw (honest-to-god) an older man (between 60-70) wearing jeans (okay), a bright, somewhat garish Hawaiian shirt (ooookay – a little odd but we are still having summer, so . . .), and (truth – I saw it with my very own eyeballs) a coonskin cap.  You will have to take my word for it because he was walking briskly and I just couldn’t get everything together fast enough to sneak a picture.

 


 A couple of neighbors in the old neighborhood are having a political SIGN off. 

One house put a Biden/Harris sign in their yard. 

Then, the people across the street countered with a Trump/Pence sign.  Then, oddly, the Trump sign disappeared for a couple of weeks and

house #1 put out a 2nd Biden sign (they’re on a corner, so one in the front; one on the side). 

So, house #2 put out the Trump sign again. 

Then, house #1 put up two Biden flags and

house # 2 put out a Trump flag. 

And, finally, house #1 upped the ante and put out a large poster on the side of their house - Biden/Harris.

 As of this morning, house #2 hasn’t done anything to counter so, right this minute Biden is ahead.

 Here lately, I have spent early morning hours doing yard work.  As of today, I have planted trees – 2 catalpa, 1 black walnut, 1 pomegranate, 1 I-don’t-know-what-it-is; grew-it-from-a-seed-from-NM-but-I-think it’s a Mexican Bird of Paradise tree (different from the bush but similar)

 


1 desert orchid tree, and, 1 confederate rose. 

 


I am going to have trees bygod! 

 



Of course all the trees were grown from cutting and/or seed so all are smallish but I am expecting each one to be as tall as I am by this time 2021 (don’t burst my dream bubble). 

 I have also planted ferns (under the front porch),

 


lemon grass, star jasmine, and night blooming jasmine.  And, I have discovered the soil here is not soil – it’s clay.  Heavy black clay – oh, goodie – just like living in Houston again.  It’s been a long time since I’ve had to grow things in clay so I expect it will be a relearning process.  I still have another confederate rose, a desert orchid, and a maple tree to plant but now I need to wait until I get a shed and carport.  Then, I have a bunch of other plants that need to go into the ground but those will have to wait until next spring.


Yep - that would be me - don't know where things will be planted.   Eek!!  I have to change for yoga or I’ll be late.  I shall leave you with one more thought.



 Get out and vote when you can people!

 14 Oct 2020

5 comments:

  1. Oh, hooray. Tree, trees and more trees. It will all happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trees are great. It's especially good to plant them so tiny and see them grow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That bridge - accurate!

    I love the sign war. I thought we had one here, but one day I was driving by & the Biden sign was replaced by a sign for the republican senate candidate. I started wondering if the Biden house had lost a bet & had to put the Biden sign out for a couple of weeks. It was weird!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's better to wear a coonskin hat than a MAGA hat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear you've voted. It is a very strange voting system you seem to have compared with ours.

    ReplyDelete