Friday, June 5, 2020

Summertime



June – already (though, now that I think about it, I’m pretty sure I said the same thing in early May – May already!).  I know – not quite summer (the summer solstice isn’t until the 20th), but our temperatures are reaching 90° these days.  Summer.

As of June 1, we have officially entered into hurricane season.  Now is the time I always take a quick look at the NOAA map every morning to see what might be happening in the gulf.  In Wharton, we are about 45 miles inland so I don’t worry as much about storms but still . . . . 




This storm, Cristobal, is skimming along the Yucatan with estimated landfall east of us – Louisiana . . . Mississippi.  Still, it’s smart to keep an eye on things as sometimes they change direction suddenly and barrel right in.

We have had rain over the past several days.  And, the mosquitoes are out in force – walking in the yard is dangerous to life and limb.  Ugh – I hate to even go outside in the mornings or evenings.



I did finally get outside and weed flower beds.  Now, I can actually see the herbs and other things blooming out there!


Daylilies are in bloom

As are the

 Plumerias

Purple Coneflower
tho they’re about done

Whoa – I’ve a yard full of pink stuff!

I have no idea what this little rose is but it will bloom from early spring until first frost.  It’s not a dwarf because the bush gets as tall as I am, however the flowers are very small.  I know it's an heirloom rose but that's all.  I grew it from a cutting.


 This is Mexican Mint Marigold and can be used in place of Tarragon.  (We can’t grow Tarragon here in our part of the universe – doesn’t like our humidity or summer heat.)  A native of the Southwestern U.S. and Mexico, this perennial herb likes the humidity and can tolerate our summer sun though it needs regular watering.  It will bloom throughout the summer and fall with small yellow flowers (which are also edible).  The leaves have a sweet anise flavor and go well with fish, chicken, lamb most vegetables, in salads, sauces and soups.  Mine will die back to the ground during the winter but will pop back up as soon as the weather starts to warm.  It makes a good companion plant as it attracts pollinators like bees and butterflies plus it helps to reduce the number of harmful nematodes in the soil.  In the long past days, it was used for the treatment of malaria, colic, colds, and as a poultice for treatment of rattlesnake bite.  (Hey! You might need this moderately useless information some day - it could happen!)

I’ve been keeping my teacup bird feeder filled as the cardinals empty it almost every other day.  The Demon Duo love to sit on the sofa and watch (and probably dream of catching) the birds.  



That is until yesterday when I went out to refill it and found ---


 Grrrrrrr – damn squirrels.

Unfortunately, my little county has had a substantial increase in the numbers of people with COVID19.  We had a big jump this past week with 9 new cases diagnosed.  It gives us a total of 67 cases with 38 recoveries, one death, and the rest – pending.  

I walked out to the garage/laundry room earlier to find water flooding out from behind the washer.  Put in another call to the plumber.  And, just to be safe, I also called the appliance fixit guy.  The water flood stopped when I turned off the washer so could be it has to do with the washer and not the plumbing.  Ugh.

Finally – today is National Moonshine Day. 



Moonshine, white lightning, mountain dew, hooch, or Tennessee white whiskey is a high-proof distilled spirit that was, in the past, produced illicitly. Today large distilleries sell moonshine, looking to rekindle nostalgic memories of the illegal drink. Thankfully though, the days of cheap, questionable brews with deadly contaminants are over.

Have a nice weekend – stay safe and remember if you wear a mask, pull it up over your mouth and nose otherwise it’s pretty useless (I keep seeing people wearing their masks pulled down below their mouth).

5 June 2020


5 comments:

  1. National Moonshine Day? Shouldn't we all be getting a paid day off work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used ti have the same problem with our washer. The water would back up with a vengence. Then David found that the pipe going from the washer to the main pipe was just too small in diameter.So, he put in a larger pipe and a cleanout where he could get at it if it ever backed up again. All it took was a some PVC piping and haven't had flooding or anything coming back up into the kitchen sink.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can tell that you and Ellen are sisters - lots of pink flowers & broken teacups :) We’re supposed to hit 90 today. I am not amused.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, that washer! A never ending nightmare.

    I used to have quite a large Mexican marigold that was quite fragrant. I never new it was an herb! And hey, plumeria? The only place I've seen them is in the Hawaiian islands, and didn't even occur to me that grew in other places. I love their sweet smell.

    I'm afraid many places that are opening up are seeing new cases. We may be going back to shelter in place sooner than we imagined.

    Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your flowers look nice and colourful …

    Talking of wearing masks, I too have seen many people wearing their masks pulled down below their mouth!!!

    Stay safe and well.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete