Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Grass and Owls and Other Oddities


When my husband was still amongst the breathing, his pride and joy was the lawn, that is, the grass.  In this part of Texas, we mostly grow St. Augustine grass.  It’s a robust perennial, dense, carpet grass that does well in our hot, humid climate.  It even grows well in in shady areas.  He kept it watered, fertilized, weeded, treated for insects, and mowed/weed wacked.  Once I mowed the front yard and, honest-to-god, he nearly had apoplexy. 

Why, you ask?  Well, I find mowing to be, among other things, BORING.  So, I mow back and forth then up and down, diagonally, in a circle – whatever.  (Hey!  I thought mowing was about cutting the grass!)  Then, also, I took the bag off and just let the grass lay where it landed (good mulch!).  Rake?? Bag grass??  Are you nuts??  Using the weed eater or a blower??  Please, mowing is a pain in the patootie without all that other stuff.

HE, on the other hand, mowed even lines in one direction and emptied the bag of clippings as necessary.  Blew excess clipping into a pile to be picked up.  Weedwacked all edges straight and true.  Fiiiine!


After he went to the big Ice House in the Sky, and the mowing fell to me, it went back to, uhmmmmmmm, decorative mowing.  Really, I hate to mow – boring, yes; also hot, hot, hot, work that includes my walking literally 5 miles!

Okay, I hear you - - - Interesting but ……

While my daughter was here visiting, she decided to mow the back yard for me.  It took her maybe an hour and a half (takes me 2 days – 2 hours per day!) and she did a great job.  I was very grateful.  The next day I walked out to the back yard and noticed 



My child!  A chip off the ole block!  I was so proud!

Up until today, the weather has been dry.  Humid, yes but no significant rain since maybe sometime in mid-May.  That means every afternoon I go out and water all the flowerbeds and plants in containers.  I chose afternoon because even with no rain the mosquitoes are ferocious now and during the hot time of the day, they’re a little less bad.  Yesterday I went out to water and this guy was sitting on the fence.  He saw me and flew over to the cedar tree and watched for a while …..



Pretty sure it’s a Barred Owl (I know, hard to see the color in the picture).  I’ve seen at least two of them in the last couple days.  Plus, you can hear them hooting back and forth during the evening.  Normally owls are night hunters but the Barred Owl will also hunt in the daytime.  It’s a big bird – nearly as big as the Great Horned Owl but much less aggressive.  And that’s as much about owls as I know.

Today is International Fairy Day.  It is a day for fairies, magic, and wishes to come true. For one day, put aside the cynicism of the modern world and embrace the possibilities of the unknown, and believe in fairies…





I believe
do you?

24 Jun 2020

7 comments:

  1. David hates to mow the weeds but he does it in about 30 minutes. He never weed wacks or edges unless it becomes unsightly. We have a small yard. He does it early in the morning before the sun gets hot. Usually around 8am.
    We have a lot of owls out here too. They go after the squirrels in the evenings. I hear them at night too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the olden, corporate days, our English distributor was visiting. At lunch he said he had scolded his wife for letting his daughter play in the yard in the winter. On questioning, because you could see the marks in the summer. Everyone at the table gave him hell and I hope he took it home with him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think men can get just a little touch compulsive about lawns. I'd rather have ground cover, if the area isn't going to be used a lot. And lawns in front of houses hardly ever see use. But then I live where ground cover doesn't burn in summer, so there's that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and I apparently have similar mowing philosophies. Go here to check out one of my routes (I like to use my walking tracker & see what the pattern looks like - ha!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clap your hands if you believe in fairies.
    I agree, mowing is boring - not so much the mowing as the emptying of the bag.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the only way mowing wouldn't be boring is if I had one of those riding mowers. Then I could tear around like Nascar. You sound as if you have a lot of lawn to mow!!

    ReplyDelete