Thursday, May 28, 2020

Good, Bad, and Ugly



I mentioned earlier that evidently my washer had a clog in the drainline as it flooded the garage floor the other day.  Well, could have been worse.  Could have been a utility room in the house.  So the plumber came out yesterday and snaked out the line.  Water seemed to be draining fine.  Cool.  He left.  I washed a load of clothes and . . . . . the water poured out of the washer drain and onto the floor.  Again.  Called the plumber.  Today he’s out there working on it.  He resnaked the line, checked to make sure it was running, started the washer to fill and drain then tapped on the door.  I walked out and – honest to god – water started pouring out of the half bathroom next to the washer.  From the toilet tank.  Really??  So he snaked it again, poured in some sort of dissolve any kind of clot stuff, and reran the washer.  This time, it backed up out of the toilet bowl.  Then he had to figure out how the previous owner put in the little bathroom and where he hooked everything up and why the water keeps coming out of unacceptable places.  This is not easy or fun.  Bad. 


But he did figure out what and where the problem was and fixed it.  Good.

Monday I had a major fright.  I walked down my darkened hallway and beheld a terrible sight.  A woman gazing at me – an old woman with longish scraggly hair that was dragged back from her face.  Ugly

Yes, it was me in the mirror.  I never let my hair get much past my ears – it doesn’t do well at all. 

The young woman that cuts my hair had reopened with rules 1. Appointments only; 2. Only one person at a time (no families crowding in all together); 3. The door was locked so a phone call to advise her the client is there; 4. She wears a mask and gloves and the client wears a mask also.  She is very cognizant of the virus and the necessity to keep things clean and safe.  Good

So, I made an appointment for a much needed haircut and style.  And, while there, a little pop of color -



I think I’ve been alone for toooooooo long!  I really do like it though!  Purple is a nice color. Very Cool!

Wednesday I went back to yoga – first time in three months.  I don’t worry about people contact there.  The class is held in a huge metal building with garage type doors on every side, all open to let in the air/breeze.  Plus, there are usually only 5 or 6 people so plenty of room to social distance.  It was nice to get back.  Good

no, not me - my instructor
not in this lifetime will I be able to do that!


About five minutes after classes started, I heard screaming.  A quick check of the rest of the room showed nothing other than concentration on the different positions.  Okay, just my muscles screaming at the pain of having to assume downward facing dog, the cobras, warrior 2, tree, sun salutations, etc.  Bad

I didn’t actually scream or groan or cry or collapse in a heap.  Yay me!  And again - Good

Since my cats are house bound, I don’t use flea meds on them on a monthly basis.  About 2 or 3 times during the spring/summer.  I know, why?  They don’t go outside BUT they find snakes, grubs, skinks and lizards in the garage so I’m sure fleas can find the way in also.  My vet has a new “drive through window” arrangement.  I called in the order, got there and drove around to the side of the building.  Called – “I’m here” and someone came out gloved and masked and handed me my order.  Easy peasy.  And Good!

Here’s an interesting little-known fact.  Today, May 28, is
Slugs Return From Capistrano Day.
(Or the equivalent location where you are)



Ok, this one gets Bad and Ugly.

The “Swallows Return to Capistrano” day is March 19.  Actually, many migratory songbirds return to the same local area, and often to the exact same territory, each spring, even after traveling thousands of miles to and from their wintering grounds.  But the slugs shudder.  Those swarm of birds are hungry after their long flight.  So the slugs all leave, heading back to the gardens and flowerbeds they abandoned last fall.  Being slugs, it takes them awhile to make the trek back.  This is not necessarily a good thing.  BUT! Here are a few ideas for keeping them away from your prized flowers and vegetables:

Coffee grounds.  Use caffeinated coffee; apparently slugs prefer to avoid caffeine.
Crushed egg shells.  I guess the egg shells are scratchy on the soft little sluggy bodies.
Strips of copper as a barrier. It gives the slugs a shock when they cross it.
Red clover. Apparently given a choice, slugs will choose this plant over other nearby plants.
Beer traps.  Bury a shallow container so its edge it even with the soil.  Fill with beer.  Replace the beer every few days.

Today I came across this



Gnarly Old Tree right? 
Nope.



Mustang grape vine!

 I rather expected to see Tarzan swinging by ...

The first picture – it’s the trunk of the vine.

Mustang grapes are a wild grape in Central Texas. When they are ripe they are a solid black and can be found along fences, draped over trees, and generally covering any plant or other nonmoving object.  You cannot eat raw mustang grapes as they are extremely acidic and can burn your stomach. But when cooked with added sugar, they make a wonderful jelly.  This one hits the trifecta – Good, Bad, and Ugly.

Well – that’s all I know right now.

28 May 2020


9 comments:

  1. I love the shock of purple. It's really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The previous owner left the old house plumbing so squirrely, I needed all new drains.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arghghg on plumbing that keeps surprising you. But your nature photos are lovely.

    Soooo, we have purple hair now? Adventurous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, love your purple highlights! And glad the plumber was able to fix the problem. Boy, that must have been frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your hair! I want to add some fun color to mine, but apparently as a brunette I would have to bleach some of it & then add the color (which must be true because I got some purple "paint on" color & couldn't even see it in my hair).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the purple! I now have a significant gray streak, perhaps I should color it something cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. After your plumbing woes, a new hair cut & color was just the thing! And getting back to yoga. I really miss my class...no telling when it will start up again. It's not held in a terribly large space.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A good mix of good and bad. That plumbing sounds a nightmare. My son had a similar query in their house about how the previous owner had done stuff. Curious.
    Your hair looks lovely. Mine needs cutting but our hairdressers aren't open yet. How did she avoid cutting the mask you were wearing?

    ReplyDelete
  9. You were fortunate to get your hair done.
    My hair could do with a cut but our hairdressers in the UK are not open yet …

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete