Thursday, April 2, 2020

Self-Isolating


Okay – I’m tired of this now.  Self-isolating.  It’s not that there is a lot entertaining to do here in Wharton, it is that I CAN’T do anything now, per genuine common sense to stay home and an order from the Governor (grocery store or doctor okay, all else – nope). 

As of now, our county has identified 8 cases of COVID-19.  No, not too bad, but we don’t have any large cities in our county (largest is El Campo at 11,000) so exposure is probably lower than say – Harris County (largest city is Houston with 2.28 million).  Still, it’s more than I’d like there’d to be. 

I’ve stayed busy over the past weeks.  I’ve finished up a number of “in process” projects.  Started a couple more.  Worked in the yard.  My herb garden is okay this year.  Not as much in it as I usually have but – self-isolating and all that . . . .

Yesterday I spent four hours potting up or repotting plants.  Came out to be FORTY-SEVEN in all.  Of course, a goodly number were bromeliads.  I have Aechmea Fasciata (hmmm – maybe Primera they’re very similar) Bromeliads.  And they make pups all year long.  Honest to god, one plant will fill up a container with six more in a single year.  So, I divided them up, cut away the old/dying plants and



I also potted up all the seedlings that had outgrown their starter pods.
  

These are lemon and orange trees.
(because I was bored and planted seeds
to see if they’d come up)
Texas Mountain Laurel.
Brugmansia.
And a couple Avocados.

Plus a variety of Crinum, Lilies of the Nile, and Billbergia (because I couldn’t find a place in the yard for them), along with several Plumerias.  Whew!

Then I came in the house with too many sore muscles and a tired body.  Sitting on the ground, potting up plants, standing up and moving said plant to an appropriate location, repeat, for four hours is HARD WORK.

Today, I have done nothing.  So, when I get bored, I look up stuff ---

Did You Know?
April is


 Frog Month
And why is that?  you ask.  Because we have just left amphibian breeding season (March) and are into tadpole season. 

Keep America Beautiful Month.
This is something that shouldn’t be regulated to a monthly awareness.  It is something everyone should do every day.

National Pecan Month
This surprised me – National Pecan Month in April.  You’d think it would be in September or October when the pecans start to fall.  Okay – just a few pecan facts
1 Pecans contain more antioxidants than any other nut variety
2 Pecans can help reduce the risk of heart disease and lower cholesterol levels
3 Pecans contain more than 19 vitamins and minerals
4 Pecans are a natural, high-quality source of protein and naturally sodium free

And, last but not least, it is

Stress Awareness Month
A national, cooperative effort to inform people about the dangers of stress, successful coping strategies, and harmful misconceptions about stress that are prevalent in our society.  And, with all that’s going on these days, I suspect stress is a major concern.

What else have I discovered today, you ask.  Wellllllll


This is Mule Week (1-7)   an annual celebration of all things related to mules is held in Tennessee, North Carolina, California, Alabama, and Georgia with Tennessee being the self-proclaimed "Mule Capital" of the world.  Begun in 1840 as "Breeder's Day", a meeting for mule breeders, it now attracts over 200,000 people and takes place over four days. In addition to mules, traditional Appalachian food, music, dancing, and crafts are feature

Hey – this is interesting stuff!

Finally, today, April 2 is

National Burrito Day
A day to pay homage to the delicious tortillas stuffed with meat, cheese, beans, rice, vegetables, and sauces.  The Mexican dish is popular all over the world, but it has only been offered in American restaurants since the 1930s.  The oldest historical mention of a burrito appears in the “Dictionary of Mexicanisms” in 1895.  Meaning “little donkey” in Spanish, it’s possible the term refers to the packs and bedrolls donkeys once carried.  The definition explained that a burrito was a “rolled tortilla, with meat or other food within.” The dish first became popular in Guanajuato and Guerrero before its popularity moved northward to the United States.

National Peanut Butter and Jelly Day

And, there are more ways in heaven and earth, Horatio, to have PB&J than you might think.


 Try making a Loaded PB&J by layering on fruit and yogurt.

I’m thinking you’d need a
plate
knife
fork
and a dozen napkins
for that!

Or, how about PB&J Cups


Step 1 – line muffin tin / gather ingredients
Step 2 – melt chocolate
Add 1 tbl chocolate to each liner
Step 3 – add pb & j filling
1/2 tbl peanut butter
 1 tsp jam to each cup’
Step 4 – top with melted chocolate
Step 5 – chill to set

Wow – Busy, Busy, Busy.  Think I’ll go watch some mindless TV.

2 Apr 2020

8 comments:

  1. Mmmm, those PB&J cups look amazingly delicious! I like pecans too -- not pecan pie, it's waaaaay too sweet -- but just pecan nuts for eating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David can't understand why I love a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with chips on the side with a pepsi. He grimaces. each time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. if you really get bored you can come over and help me clear that fence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. pb&j with Fritos and a glass of milk. Mmmmmmm. Childhood memories.

    I wish I had a yard to work in. I moved into a condo late last year, thinking "freedom from all that yard work!" Be careful what you wish for. I used to have quite a large yard, and after a good day's work in it would soak in the hot tub with a glass of wine. Heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All that gardening sounds like hard work.
    I have never eaten peanut butter and jelly. Which I think is jam.
    Are mules the ones who can't reproduce?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gardening hard work? YES! But good exercise.
      The difference between jelly and jam? Jelly is made with the juice of the fruit while jam is made with the crushed fruit itself.
      Mules? Being a city girl - I don't know but I thought they are sterile though I'm sure there are some surprises out there.

      Delete
  6. Hey - I had PB&J for lunch (ok, yes, I also put bologna & cheese on there because I'm a weirdo). I had to laugh at all your hard work. I had a tiny little packet of seeds someone gave me & also one of those paper bookmark things with seeds embedded. I planted them into a couple of planters today. Had to get on my knees & dig in the dirt for, oh, five minutes? And was complaining later that I would be sore. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd 'stockpiled' three jars of peanut butter before the shut down and find myself patting them every time I go past them in the kitchen. My security blanket!

    ReplyDelete