Saturday, February 3, 2018

Time Travel




You know, Time Travel is possible.  Yesterday I was neck-deep in the 11th century.  

My goal yesterday, which I did not achieve, was to clean up some of my genealogy files.  I started with the HARDIN family and Eadnoth.  From Eadnoth, the line is traceable through the Hardins to Storms to Sims to Bace to Abbott.  Whew!

Eadnoth (1024-1068) ”The Staller (master of horse) and Constable” of Somerset, may have been a son, legitimate or not, of Svend II, Estridsson Ulfussonn King of Denmark 1047 to 1076.  Or he may have been a son-in-law or someone with an active imagination.  You can find pros and cons on any and all paternal choices.  But, no one really knows. 

One of the things that is historically supportable is that Eadnoth served three kings – Edward the Confessor, Harold II, and William I (the Conqueror).  Because I like to include historical information of the times, I did some research on Harold II (having some general idea on the other two already). 

Harold (1022-1066) was a son of Godwin, the Earl of Wessex, and nephew, by marriage, to King Canute the Great of England and Denmark.  Harold was actually only king for 10 months or so because he was killed at the Battle of Hastings by the armies of William the Conqueror. 

It was really interesting and I learned a lot about his grandfather Wulfnoth Cild, thegn of Sussex; Godwin (his father and very powerful Earl of Wessex); Sweyn Godwinson (his older brother – a real bad ass); Edyth Swannesha (consort of 20 years and mother to most of his children); Ealdgyth, daughter of Ælfgar, Earl of Mercia (wife of 10 months and then he was killed). 



Then, I refreshed my memory on just who the Anglo Saxons were (as they are mentioned numerous times in the historical texts).  They were the Angle, Saxon, and Jute tribes that lived along the coast of what's now Holland, southern Denmark, and a little of the German coast in between.  And the Normans ????  They were Vikings that bullied the Frankish (French) king, Charles, into giving them a large amount of land in northern France.  And, they all invaded England.

Next thing I knew, it was 5pm and Morgan was waiting for her dinner.  I never got off Eadnoth.  But, I did learn a great deal. 

Take care.
Gilly Flower


No comments:

Post a Comment