Wednesday, April 4, 2018

The Hermit, The Star, The Towers, The Moon, The World, The Wheel



 I have several decks of Tarot cards.  Each one is different.  I’ve acquired them because I like the art work and because I’m drawn to them.  For many years, I’ve read the cards for others.  And before you ask – Tarot cards are not “fortune telling cards”.  They are more guidance for questions asked by the petitioner.
 
The Dragon Tarot

But, did you know –
Medieval Scapini Tarot
 A complete deck is comprised of four suits (wands, swords, cups, disks).  The small cards are numbered 1 – 10.  Each suit also has a set of court cards – king, queen, knight, page.  (Yes, similar to today’s playing cards with hearts, diamonds, spades, and clubs.)   They are referred to as The Minor Arcana.  There are also 22 trump cards that do not belong to any suit and these are called the Major Arcana.   
 
Herbal Tarot
 The first Tarot cards were created as a game in the mid-15th century.  Starting in Italy (and quickly spreading to France and the rest of Europe) the game, called Triumph, was played similar to today’s Bridge.  The Italian nobility commissioned artists to design unique and beautiful cards.  It wasn’t until much later that occultists became interested in Tarot cards as a divination tool.  In the late 1700s, Frenchman Jean-Baptise Alliette, published the first definitive guide to tarot card reading.  He gave special meaning to each of the cards, incorporating beliefs of the times about astronomy and the four elements. He claimed to have borrowed heavily from the Book of Thoth, an Egyptian text supposedly written by Thoth, the Egyptian god of wisdom and indicated the cards contained the hieroglyphical keys to life.
 
Motherpeace Round Tarot

Interesting.
 
Rider Waite Tarot
 I said I have several different decks and while I expect the meaning of the cards has changed somewhat depending to what century you are living in, for the most part, all decks have the same general interpretation.  When I do readings, I am partial to using the Celtic Cross spread although I have used others.  The spread guides the reader along.  I only use the Major Arcana cards – for me, it’s too overwhelming to use all 78.  The petitioner is asked to shuffle the cards and think about whatever questions are most important.  Then I lay out the cards and explain each card and its position in the spread.  So – does it work?  When I’ve asked people after readings if any of their questions were helped, I’ve been told the reading opened different pathways to solve whatever was going on.  That works.
 
Celtic Cross Spread
Take care.
 
Thoth Tarot


















C

No comments:

Post a Comment