Tuesday, May 2, 2023

April Showers

 


Bring May Flowers

So we’ve had the April Showers and right now I have a yard filled with May Flowers.  sort of . . . .


Dandelions

Buttercups

Wood Violets

and

Clover

Well, that’s okay.  Flowers iz flowers – right?

I occasionally fascinate and astound you with odd facts about the happenings for different days (week, month).  And, since I know nada of great interest, I thought I’d do so again.  However, THIS time I’m passing on information early so you can mark your calendar in expectation for some exciting, fun, not-to-be-missed and totally weird things.  

First of all – May, May, the lusty month of May is also

Amaranth month

Each month the Whole Grains Council features a “Grain of the Month”, including information on its health benefits, cooking tips and recipes, historical/cultural facts, and more.  May’s Grain of the Month, the pseudocereal Amaranth, makes up for what it lacks in size and perhaps recognition by packing a nutritional punch. Mentioned in Aesop’s fables and Milton’s Paradise Lost and sometimes called the “food of immortality” by the Aztecs, this resilient and visually striking plant has recently gained popularity in the health food scene and is ready to retake the spotlight.


Drum month

International Drum Month is celebrated in May, and we can feel the rhythm and joy already. What is it about drums that create deep connections with forces greater than us? Drumming is hypnotic, compelling listeners to sway or jump at each turn. Music has always offered humans a space for connection. Drums achieve this quite spectacularly. Perhaps their beat mimics the energy and sound of the earth. Their sounds call us to become who we ought to be — happy, unfettered, and making meaningful connections. Every year in May, musicians everywhere celebrate this most beloved musical instrument.

Mystery month

Started by the American Library Association, Mystery Month highlights all things mysterious. Mysteries, with their unusual situations, puzzling clues, usual suspects, and plenty of unexplained phenomena, are great for readers of all ages.

And, so we move onto Weeks to celebrate -

National Hug Week: 1-7


Craft Brewers Week: 7-10

National Public Gardens Week: 12-21


National Unicycle Week: 21-27

Old-Time Player Piano Weekend:  26-28

And, finally Days

Garden Meditation Day: 3

Great American Grump Out: 3

I included two different ‘holidays’ on one day because one seems to offset the other.

This next one is for my son-in-law . . . . .

Tuba Day: 5


International Tuba Day was created to recognize tubists in musical organizations around the world who have to go through the hassle of handling a tuba. What hassles do tubists have? Tuba players obviously have hassles due to the size and weight of their instruments, but what is actually more of a hassle for tuba players is the prevalence of stereotyped attitudes among people towards tubists and their role in a musical organization.

World Naked Gardening Day:  6

No Socks Day: 8

Eat What You Want Day: 11

Crouton Day: 13

World Bee Day: 20


Sherlock Holmes Day: 22

International Tiara Day: 24


Cookie Monster's Birthday: 25

Joe Cool Day: 27


Mint Julep Day: 30

National Smile Day: 31


2 May 2023

11 comments:

  1. Joe Cool looks like Dark Brandon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for a collection sure to keep us inspired for the month of May. Your collection of tiny flowers was lovely, too. I especially enjoyed looking at tiny woodland violets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Wood Violets too. In fact, I've dug up a bunch from the yard, where they'll get mowed down, and moved them into a more protected place.

      Delete
  3. So many fun and worthwhile things to celebrate! Here's another one -- World Labyrinth Day is this Saturday, May 6th!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So easy to see why I love it when you post. Always a treat. Usually lots of surprises. Need to mark some of those days on my calendar. And I think the tiara model is named Ellen. Thank you for the fun. We need more of that in this crazy world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, the tiara wearer is my sister, Ellen.

      Delete
  5. I already read almost exclusively mysteries AND eat whatever I want - nice to know that at least once I year I'm on trend. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did not realize that that IS me until I read RunNRose's comment. pretty lame when you don't even recognise yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I read all o f those books.

    ReplyDelete