Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Happy Days

  

Easter, Passover, Ramadan, Hinami, Nowruz, Holi, Thank all the Gods and Goddesses it’s Spring (or whatever you may have celebrated this month) – may it be all you wished for.

As for myself, I set out my bunnies and baskets filled with colored eggs which for me brings back fun memories of years past.


Granddaughter #1 and her fiancée came over for a two day visit. 


It was wonderful, great, nice to have them here.  Plus, soon-to-be-officially grandson #3 did three big projects for me.  He installed a cat door (now the Demon Duo can go out to the screened in porch without my assistance).


Finished sealing the front porch – reaching easily the area I couldn’t unless I employed a ladder (not my first choice – ladder, me, paint can in one hand, brush in other, no extra hand to steady myself or hold on to the porch).  And, he sunk a pond form partway into the ground.  No – not having a pond. 

I’ve had several ponds over the years.  They can be nice, soothing even, attractive and a whole great big bunch of work.  Thankyouverymuch – I’m done with that.  No, it’s my version of a raised flower bed.  This one will hold iris, daylilies, amaryllis bulbs, rain lilies, and narcissus.  I’ve already punched a bazillion holes in the bottom and now just have to fill it with dirt.

I recently offered to take on finding programs and workshops for Hesed House of Wharton (our community outreach organization).  Saturday was the first one – Rainwater Harvesting.  And, just in case you’re interested . . . . . Collecting rainwater reduces demand on municipal water resources, makes and efficient use of water, reduces erosion, flooding and water contamination, and saves money.  My speaker showed how individuals can use something as simple as a trashcan, or


as fancy as this


She also talked about rain gardens – a bioretention area.  What?  That translates to a low place in your yard.  Why?  Well a rain garden gives storm water a place to collect, sink in, and replenish the ground water.  You can put in native, water loving plants making it an attractive area (rather than a low, wet place in the yard) and all the rain is helping your yard rather than running off to the gutter.


This being our first ‘Earth Lab’ program, we had an OK turnout – not as many as I hoped for but not as few as I feared. 

My yard is finally beginning to look like M Y  Y A R D.  Many things blooming –


Scabiosa or pincushion flower


Amaryllis – these came from my mother’s house and from her mother’s house.


 Miss Jekyll White or Love in a Mist Flower


Malmaison


Lady of Shallot

Many wildflowers all abloom in my wild flower bed but I won’t bore you with more flower pictures.  Of my two tomato plants, one has many tomatoes!  The other is just now putting out flowers.  The potatoes and carrots seem to be growing well and all my trees have leafed out.  Well - two haven't but I'm not giving up on them just yet.  Most of the shrub types have put out leaves and have started growing.  

I guess that’s all I know right now.


and, one more because it made me laugh


19 Apr 2022


11 comments:

  1. Your flowers are so gorgeous! When I was a kid in a rural area, EVERYONE had at least one rain barrel in their yard. My Rare One has a rain barrel to this very day. Sometimes a squirrel gets in it and drowns, though. She has a lid on it and everything, but you know squirrels. They always find a way in.

    That cow meme with the puns -- GROAN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried using trash cans. They all split from the weight and pressure of the water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The jokes, arghghgh. But funny. Ever since hearing Jane Goodall talk about women in countries where they spend hours daily collecting and carrying home water, I've been much better about conserving it. There are a lot of ways we don't notice how much we use. The problem with rain barrels or any outdoor water collection here in the home of the mosquito is just that. Mosquito breeding ground, hard to avoid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rain barrels are good. I've always thought of a bioretention area as the large pond required with all commercial development to hold the amount of rainwater the new ground cover (building, parking, etc) displaces. In the yard, with plants, is cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not familiar with love in the mist flower. Got rid of all my rain barrels, sadly they're more trouble than their worth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wooden barrels work better for catching rain water...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard that some places have outlawed catching rainwater - I guess they need it for their reservoirs?

    Please feel free to share as many flower pictures as you want - I will not complain.

    That WTF one reminded me of a conversation I had with my boss today. I was talking about a kerfuffle & she said she needed to use that word more, except she would probably say kerFUCKle instead. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm laughing here - glad I'm not laughtose intolerant...
    Pictures of flowers are ALWAYS welcome. Collecting rainwater is a wonderful idea and I also like the rain gardens - the catch is that you need rain for that. Hm - unfortunately we don't always get rain, we have many months without a single drop. Some people have swales in their gardens, that helps a bit in conserving water, but we can't really have water loving plants here (and still people put in lawns... I guess they still don't realize we are in a very severe drought and think three days of rain fills up our reservoirs - I wish they did!). Your idea for a raised bed sounds really good and I'm sure it will be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gotta love a cow like that. Sounds like a really interesting talk and your garden must be looking lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a low area in my backyard, and I think you have just given me an idea what to do with it.

    ReplyDelete