Thursday, February 17, 2022

Today – maybe some yesterday too

  

A Truth


Spring has started it seductive call – happens every February.  My gardener self says – Now Now Now – it’s time to get gardening NOW!  However, my sensible self says – are you kidding??? It’s still February!!! 

I have started working on the one really, truly flowerbed I’ve planned to have at this new house.  It’s a raised bed primarily because the ground here is 88% black clay.  I prepared the area, killed off the grass and weeds (at least temporarily).  Saturday, I crawled around on hands and knees putting down cardboard (helps with weed control and will mulch down eventually).  Last year I was fortunate enough to be given a slew of cement blocks which I picked up and stacked behind my house over several weeks.  Then, Monday and Tuesday morning, I carried them around to the front – all FORTY-ONE - and then carried over eight 40 lb bags of soil and/or compost to start filling it. 


I’m planning only one because – I really hate to pull weeds when the temperature outside is 98° with 98% humidity (that’s likely to start in May, possibly April).  It’s going to hold herbs, maybe some edible flowers.  Possibly a vegetable or two.  But I’m leaning more toward planting perennials rather than annuals as it is the front of the house and the annuals --- well will live a year and die.

Then my back started screaming hysterically so Tuesday afternoon and all day Wednesday I sat on my derriere, semi-reclined (sitting hurts as does laying down flat) and watched TV, worked on my newest embroidery piece, or read my book. 

Today I thought I’d get back to the store and buy another 10 bags of dirt and continue filling the bed.  However, first thing this morning I moved the sansevieria that’s been living in my bedroom out to the screened porch. 


Sansevieria make excellent house plants as they need minimum light and water.  They’re excellent air purifiers.  They release oxygen at night giving a sleeper a little extra boost.  They remove toxins from the air including formaldehyde and benzene.  Also, they give a sense of contentment, thereby helping with depression.  As it releases oxygen in large amounts, it improves the mood and energy of everyone in the room.  The sword-like leaves are said to resemble strength during tough times and  bring wealth, fortune, and good luck to its owner.
  You never know what works!

Anyway, when I picked up the plant, my back gave a shriek and reminded me it’s not ready for more hard labor.  Maybe I’ll go to the store on Saturday.

This is National Nest Box Week

February 14 marks the start of National Nest Box Week. The first mention of Valentine’s Day as a romantic celebration was Chaucer's 14th Century poem The Parliament of Fowls, where he imagined it to be a day when birds gather to choose their mates under the supervision of nature. So mid-February is the ideal time to start looking out for nesting birds.


I have a few bird houses which I have cleaned out and rehung. 


Finally, today is It’s My Way Day!

Today is the official day to do everything your way. Sleep in late, eat whatever you want, and take as long as you like in the shower. The world revolves around you for the next twenty-four hours, so make sure that no one else influences your decisions. Do everything simply because you want to do it (just make sure it's legal first). Many notable events have taken place on February 17. In 1867, the first ship passed through the Suez Canal. In 1933, Newsweek Magazine published its first issue. In 1996, a NASA spacecraft orbited and landed on an asteroid for the first time. All of these historical moments took place because someone had a brilliant idea and followed through with it, their way. So don't be afraid to express your ideas today, stand up for what you believe in, and do everything your own way!

I’m going back to the sofa and resume sitting, watching, sewing, and reading in order to appease my back which is reminding me right now it does not like sitting in front of the computer.  Maybe I'll have some chocolate chip cookies too.



Wouldn’t it be nice if we had these everywhere!

17 Feb 2022

 

13 comments:

  1. Before planting cover the bed with landscape fabric. Then cut holes for the plants. After all done cover with mulch to hide the fabric. Will significantly cut down on weedd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I like the sound of "It's My Way Day" -- if only it could be EVERY day, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that Human Library concept. I think our country would benefit from such a thing. I never heard of a sansieveria plant. Might have to get one because of all its benefits! Hoping your back starts feeling better soon.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. I very much like your raised bed idea. If I had room, I wouldn't mind one myself. I wonder if moving 6,533 cinder blocks might have any connection with a back going on strike?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It will be a lovely garden, once you get over what you've done so far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad I didn't know about My Way Day yesterday because I would probably have called off work & that would have been a bad idea. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No wonder your back hurt!!! All that lifting and carrying. I hope you bent at the knees not the back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's an awesome library, I wish there was a library like that here where I live!

    I'm so sick of prejudice people!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think my back would have liked all that lifting/carrying etc either!
    Do take care and get your back better.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope your back is better, take care. I love that first image. I like your bird boxes, and I like the idea of a person library.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the idea of the Human Library. I wish we had one here.
    I'm sorry about your back - rest it for a while before you schlepp around those bags of dirt again. I know how heavy they are. Be careful. My entire garden has a "foundation" of cardboard. It allused to be a lawn when we moved in here 12 years ago. During the first year my husbands and I had a lot of "dumbster dates" where we would get cardboard from big stores' dumbster like Target, bicycle store, Best Buy etc. It was a lotof work and I still need to work on some areas, but I can say that the garden is truly mine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Idea of a Human Library is brilliant. I think most Humans want to be Heard, and exposure is everything in fighting bias, ignorance, stereotypes and prejudices. I also loved that lead Meme, I think I'm trapped in a similar Body it speaks of. Bravo on starting your above ground Garden, I've been imagining one for Two Years... with Gabion Walls.

    ReplyDelete