Monday, December 13, 2021

Observations

  

I believe everyone that has (had) a dog, cat, hamster, duck, chicken or pig learn to recognize the sounds of concern that send each human flying out of bed (chair, house) to deal with whatever the problem is.  Could be to run off the neighbors’ dog as he tries to get into the duck pen or wanting to get the cat off the bed (carpet, wood floor) before hacking up a hairball. 


For me, now, the sound that usually jolts me up from bed is the sound of splashing water.  Daryl


loves water.  He likes to splash in the water.  His favorite time and place?  About 5am and the water in his water bowl.  He will shove the water bowl out to the middle of the kitchen, shove the two dry food bowls up close and happily splash the water onto the floor and dry kibble.  In the past, he’s just splashed the water all over the floor, however I recently changed their dry food (to weight control because one of the DD is as round as a little tub) and he started making sure the dry food gets wet as well. 


Daryl, pudgy as he is, has two other talents.  He can teleport (yep, as in beam me up scotty).  He can be across the room until the door to the outside is opened and then, he can teleport across the room and squeeze through a tiny opening and be out.  He also is the GREAT GRAY HUNTER.  He’s always chases down any bug that gets in the house and he is an unrelenting hunter – catches whatever, release, chases it down again, catches, release, etc.  With the opening of the new back porch, he has a whole new thing to chase, catch, bring inside, release, chase, catch, etc. 


Little green tree frogs.  I’ll bet I’ve rescued a dozen and tossed them back outside already.

I worry that I’m getting old.  You know – old (stodgy) in my thinking (not years). 

I’ll be visiting my daughter over xmas in the frozen northlands (Albuquerque).  Now, I live in near perpetual summer.  So, the majority of my clothes are ideal for this climate.  I was looking over said clothes and decided I needed a few long-sleeved shirts (like something that buttons rather than t-shirts).  Off I went to JCPenney’s.  That’s the closest store we have that carry nice women’s clothes.


On a scale of 1-5, JCP gets a four (Target a 3 and Walmart a -1).  If I want anything else, I have to go to Houston (ick, ick, ick). 

And, here’re my observations and remarks.

Who buys the clothes for JCP??  96% of them are heavy fleece, or wool blends.  We live in near perpetual summer!  We may have a dozen cold days in January or early February (or we may not).  Then, summer starts again.  People! what are you thinking.

Also, who thinks this makes sense?


Hooded, cropped fleece jackets.  What?  Your boobs are warm, ergo the reset of you stays warm?  I don’t understand.  I thought it was your hands, feet and head to keep warm, not boobs.

Didn't buy anything.

Lately, I’ve been (I hesitate to say watching because, mostly, I just listen) to an old TV show (Castle).  I usually put something like that on when I’m working on a project that requires 70% of my attention (the sweater I’m currently crocheting).  It’s a cute show.  I know what to expect.  I don’t have to pay much attention to follow along.  

There are commercials and they float over my head for the most part.  Though, one or two have caught my attention but only because the actors are very attractive and the setting of the commercial is very elaborate.  Now, don’t think for a second, they are selling something I might buy because although I know the category of the product, I have no idea the brand.  Plus, those commercials are right out of a bad romance novel or the beginning of a scifi book, so – no.

#1  A hunky man in a tiny white speedo dives off an impossibly high cliff into cerulean blue ocean and shoots out of the water onto a floatie wherein lays a beautiful woman.

#2  A beautiful woman rises up from the ocean (you know – like the birth of Venus).  She is dressed all in body clinging gold and she is dusted with gold glitter.  Her eyelids are heavy with gold glitter.  She offers the camera a flower.

What are these people selling? 


Perfume!  

Really?  What I actually think is – I hope she doesn’t get that glitter in her eyes; that’s gonna hurt.  The other one – just makes me shake my head – riiiiight like that’s gonna happen.    

Well, I have to go now.  Zack discovered my suitcase sitting out and is determined to sit on me.


I will leave you with this small thought –

 


13 Dec 2021

10 comments:

  1. Oh, perfume/cologne commercials are THE WORST! They never make any sense but are always full of brooding, half-nekkid beautiful people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting mindset that creates advertising. I used to wonder what the glam model leaning enticingly against the driver's door in those car ads was actually selling..and if she was included.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That last one is MEEE. Sheesh. I used to never even think the F word in my head, but now I say it out loud. Regularly. Also, I haven't seen the glitter commercial - I guess they don't show perfume ads during hockey. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that sign is so true!!! And I'm with you on clothing styles these days. What about how women wear bedroom slippers out in public? How do they drive in them also?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a wonderful view out that window! I'd be gazing out instead of getting my work done!
    Play Football
    Premier League

    ReplyDelete
  6. We don't watch "live" TV, only stream and mostly shows from the BBC/ITV, blessfully without commercials. I have no idea who is thinking of stuff like that. And I don't like perfume anyway... I had to laugh about your cat's description. My neighbor's cat who is living permanently in my garden does move around his water bowl as well and I have no idea why he is doing that. At least he is not splashing he water. It's a few years back that I last went into a JC Penney's, I think their clothes are of minor quality. I still buy clothes mainly from European companies, I like the style and the quality. I tend to wear my clothes for years (which means I'm never clothed in the latest fashion, but I never cared about that anyway).

    ReplyDelete
  7. My, Daryl is a clever cat!
    Like you I've been looking at clothes. I wanted a new dress for Christmas and I wanted a nice bright dress. No chance. You'd think in the winter when it's dull and grey here something bright would be lovely, but apparently not. I had to settle for a sort of dark blue flowery thing. Which I like but it's not bright!

    ReplyDelete
  8. for over 2 weeks hulu had one damn Cartier commercial sung by byonce..I was rabid..judas priest.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our Cat Eli has learned how to wet his Kibbles now too, they're pretty clever about how they get their moist food, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  10. ydg is at old blog for now. used to be west bygoddesstexas. now yellowdog granny. hope old blog will be be back soon.

    ReplyDelete