Sunday, October 17, 2021

Cooking

  

I was looking around for something interesting to share and, looked to see what’s official this month.  Well, among other things, October is –

Vegetarian Month
Spinach Lovers Month
Sausage Month
Pizza Month
National Seafood Month
National Pork Month
National Popcorn Poppin' Month
National Chili Month
National Caramel Month
Corn Month
Apple Month

(Oddly – it is not Pumpkin Month)


It is also National Cookbook Month

National Cookbook Month is an annual designation observed in October. Most things in our world have moved to a digital-based format, including the recipes we use to cook. Nowadays, we usually use Pinterest, or the notes on our phone for reference when we’re cooking. This month, we challenge you to do it the old school route. Grab your favorite cookbook, dust it off, and make some fun, new recipes this month!

I have to tell you, I love cookbooks.  Well, let me qualify that – I like very old cookbooks and very pretty cookbooks and very fun cookbooks. 

 

I have a shelf of old cookbooks ranging from the late 1800’s to the 1950s.  A few belonged to my great grandmother, Margaret Laura Hudson Abbott (1859-1943). 


The books are very fragile and still have her notes written in them.  One of the things I like about those old cookbooks is – they are full of every kind of recipe.  Food – yes, but also advise on

Taking care of children


Rules for bathing and . . . . other things.


Some general facts

And a chapter on miscellaneous information like washing flannel or cleaning a black silk dress or making soap


Plus every one I’ve seen has an introduction section on the importance of keeping house (an occupation listed for most women in old census forms)


I don’t actually use those cookbooks from the 1890’s to 1950’s but they’re fun to look at and read.

The prettiest cookbook I have is this one


It has some very cool artwork throughout.


The most fun cookbook is this one –


The chapters include recipes for

Breakfast

Second Breakfast

Elevenses

Luncheon

Afternoon Tea

Supper

and

Dinner

And, I’ve made many of these recipes, though the ones for Venison Cobbler and Rabbit Stew sort of defeat me a bit (no rabbit or venison at the grocery store). 

Well, that’s all I’ve got for today. 

 


17 Oct 2021

 

 

7 comments:

  1. Interesting. That old family book is a treasure.
    I guess you don't have an Asian store locally. Ours carries rabbit, ready to cook. No venison though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like cookbooks too, and still use them. The ones I like are the old "church or community fundraiser" cook books that were popular on the prairies in the late 20th century. Everyone would contribute their "best" recipes for them. And there would always be a section at the back on "large batch cooking" -- for example, how to make scalloped potatoes for 200. Church ladies knew how to cook for crowds in those days, whether putting on a Fall Supper or catering a wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved old family cookbooks, and even used some. I gave the whole collection to a good friend who collects them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those books look amazing, and what a lovely photo of your great grandmother. I have one of my mother's cookery books. I’m surprised that October is’t pumpkin month. I don’t like pumpkin but I like chilli and love afternoon tea, pizza and caramel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that photo of your great grandmother! So stylish & very appropriately with plants (you and Ellen must get that love genetically). I like pretty cookbooks, but I don't really cook. This does remind me, however, that I want to find my mom's handwritten recipe book. I hope my dad still has it - he's on his second wife after her death (almost 16 years ago) so who knows.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely collection. I feel inspired to do a similar post.

    I had an original Mrs Beeton but it disappeared. (I am secretly convinced my aunt took it.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to have hundreds of cookbooks, decided I had to do death cleaning and gave most of them to lady who owns my favorite restaurant here in West, Keeping only the cookbooks I use for my baking. Will give them to my grands n greats when I croak. Do have a new one that a friend gave me cause she knows I love her tv show..the River run...

    ReplyDelete