Saturday, October 9, 2021

Catch up

 

Several years ago (actually a little more than several, 14 years ago) a friend mentioned her white plumeria had made a seed pod.  Anybody interested???

me! me! me!

I did a little research, planted the seeds, and was rewarded with 20 tiny trees.  I gave several of them away once they were about 2 years old.  Then, I watered and fertilized and petted my babies.  As the years passed, I still watered and fertilized and spoke sternly to each.  Finally, I reached the point of – BLOOM DAMNIT OR I’LL PLANT YOU IN THE GROUND TO LIVE OR DIE (plumerias are very cold sensitive and will freeze dead easily).  And now, at the end of this year’s growing season what did I find?? 


One of the 14-year-old babies bloomed!  yeah, yeah – I know, doesn’t sound like a big deal.  But,


And, as long as I’m sharing blooming things . . .


The Night Blooming Cereus bloomed.  It is a lovely flower on an unattractive plant.  This cactus has long awkward leaves making it difficult to position anywhere, is cold sensitive, likes moderate light (all I have these days is bright hot sun), and the blooms only open at night, for one night only.  Their saving grace – the flowers are beautiful and fragrant when they bloom.  They’re actually easy to grow and can be grown from a leaf cutting.  You just have to find the right place for the Queen of the Night.

This past week Bobby and I made a day trip to Sargent Beach.  It’s not too far; less than an hour drive.


Hurricane Nicholas came ashore close to Sargent in September.  And while most of the houses looked undamaged, the beach road had huge chunks missing and the beach-side park was severely damaged.  Also – there is this now

a bridge to nowhere



some very interesting driftwood.  I was all for taking this one home but we couldn’t figure out how to get it into the truck.


lots of seashells


a lovely day.

I still miss it every day - the sea breeze, sound of the waves, call of the birds.   big siiiiiiigh

And, every other day here lately, I’ve been working in the yard planting things I don’t want to winter over.  I haven’t really made any flower beds – just holes in the ground into which different plants have been put.  I did put borders around them though to protect them from the scary weedeater my yard guy uses.  Finally, we are still having summer here.  I am very tired of summer.

 9 Oct 2021

 


ps: With Halloween nearly upon us, I thought I’d share a meme I stole from Yellowdog Grannie.  

8 comments:

  1. your flowers are very different from mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures of flowers and beach!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your patience with those plumeria has FINALLY paid off! I love plumeria blossoms -- so beautiful! I only ever see them in Hawaii because it is much too cold for them to grow in Canada, alas. I learned that another name for plumeria is frangipani -- which is one of my favourite incense scents! Small world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely beach shots. Thank you. And the patience of the gardener, all those years. Glad you caught the night blooming cereus in its brief season.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, you would need a crane to hoist that wood. A small crane, but nevertheless, a crane.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I stole that one too. Can you imagine the things someone can create with that drift wood?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that meme, but that sky picture is my happy place. Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't tell you how often I've begged Husband to 'carry that tree trunk home for me, will you?' And he's refused!

    ReplyDelete