Saturday, September 19, 2020

Moving – One

 

Okay – I shall say this just to start off – I HATE TO MOVE! 

 


 The decision to move was one I’ve known for a while I’d have to make and make sooner rather than later for a lot of boring reasons.  But, one of the top five reasons – trying to take care of that very large yard filled with pecan trees that insisted on dropping huge branches regularly and filled with grass that insisted on being mowed weekly and living in SW Texas where it is summer for 70% of the year, therefore making the yard-work season veeery looong and having an older house that insisted on having regular problems/repairs dealt with – just got to be too much for me to handle alone, specially as I get older.  Whew!

 Next part of the decision was WHERE to move.  I have children in New Mexico, Virginia, and here in the greater Houston area.  Unfortunately, all three have, themselves, thoughts of moving within the next five years.  Ugh.  

 I thought about living where my heart is – close to the Gulf. 

 


 Where is the question.  The TX Gulf is 600 miles long.  Positive - there are many lovely places.  Negative - I’d be alone.  I don’t do well alone.  And, there are those pesky storms. 

 I thought about living places close to good friends or grandchildren. 

 


 San Antonio, TX – 7th largest city in the US, and 2nd largest in Texas.  Positive -two grandchildren there –   Negative – both of whom are still deciding what/where they want to be when they grow up, difficult living options, very big city.

 


 Austin, TX – capital and the 11th largest city in the US and 4th largest in Texas.  Positive – I have a long-time friend living there.  Negative – living options are very difficult, very expensive, big city.

 I thought about living in what – apartment? condo? rental?  I didn’t really want to buy another house.  Unless I could find a 55+ Apartment Complex, two grandchildren discouraged me from apartment living because (1) in my 70+ years I’ve only lived in an apartment for maybe 2 years (maybe not quite that long), when I was considerably younger and a lot more flexible, (2) I have the Demon Duo, and (3) a house full of furniture; a yard full of plants.  Aarrghhh!

My sister suggested another option.  She owns a large property across from her house and would put a home on it for me.  We had several discussions about that.  I talked it over with my children.  I agonized on the decision.  Honest-to-god, my cardiologist decided to increase my heart meds during this time.

 Finally – decision made.  Ellen and I would work together to put a house on her property.  So, we started house shopping and here it is today -

 


 A work in progress.

 Next – Moving – Two – Packing and Making More Decisions

19 Sept 2020



8 comments:

  1. Im assuming that you're moved in right to the point of having your WiFi connection. And I see you're catching up with your blog reading, very much appreciated around here.

    I think you made a great decision. Independent but close to family, house on a bit of land. No landlord and leasing. It all sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All moved in and the inside mostly done. Getting the WiFi wasn't too much of a problem - having the time and not being exhausted has been a bit more than I expected. But back again and I missed everyone!

      Delete
  2. I'm in favor of your trailer. In fact, it's like mine, with one more bedroom. But then, I only have one cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy with the house. Fits my needs well.

      Delete
  3. I agree with you -- moving sucks! Your new trailer looks good and you're close to family so that's a bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea. If u need help moving just call if you are staying local. My brother lives in San Antonio which is a great place to visit but traffic like that gives me anxiety if I had to do it everyday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! All moved inside now though still working on the yard. Though I guess the yard will have to be put off another week with the coming weather.

      Delete
  5. You are an independant soul. You need a nice place to call your own and you have it. Just take your time getting your yard it to where you want it. I love that dunes picture.

    ReplyDelete