Friday, December 14, 2018

Baby, it’s cold . . .


. . . . . and WINDY out there today.  Actually, not so cold, nearly 50° but the 16-20mph winds make it feel very, very chilly.  Plus, it’s really noisy here at my house.  I have windchimes – many windchimes – all of which are chiming loudly and somewhat unmusically right now.  At least I don’t have to worry about evil spirits (historically windchimes were used to ward off evil, while attracting peaceful spirits).  



However between the noise and wind, my mind feels like a hamster wheel – whirling too fast in different directions.  I think it is time to do some of my yoga poses and breathing. 

And, speaking of Yoga – today, December 14 is Yoga Day. 

Don’t give me that – yeah, yeah – nothing but tying yourself up like a pretzel – no real exercise. 

First of all, it’s been around for more than 5,000 years – no new fad, this.  Must work or it would have faded into the dark like many others.

Yoga not only burns calories and tones muscles, it's a total mind-body workout that combines strengthening and stretching with deep breathing and meditation/relaxation.  Plus, there are more than 100 different forms of yoga - something for everyone.  Some are fast-paced and intense. Others are gentle and relaxing.  (My teacher combines both intense with relaxing). 

People tell me – oh, it doesn’t supply any cardio or hard workout routines.  Please, come to my class one night and do a round of sun salutations!

Want to tighten those love handles, strengthen your core muscles? Then prop yourself up on one arm and do a side plank.



Want to work on your abs?  Try boat pose.



One of the reasons I like it - Yoga is not competitive. I can focus on my own practice and not how I’m doing compared to other people in class.

Arms, legs, glutes, back – something for everyone!  It’s Yoga Day – find a class and try it for a time!


No comments:

Post a Comment