Monday, August 16, 2021

On Being a Tech

 

It has been very quiet here in big W lately.  It’s much too hot to do anything outside.  So, my days have been full of needlework (not very interesting).  That said, I’m going to share a story.  One containing all the things that make a story good – concern, excitement, fear, horror, work, happy ending.

Once upon a time . . . .

Here a while back, my laptop developed a small problem.  The fingertip mouse pad sort of popped up at one corner.


I couldn’t “snap” it back in place so, I called my son-in-law (my go-to-guy about all things computer).  It didn’t seem to be a big deal, the pad still worked (though I have a wireless mouse I use), and without being able to see the problem, he suggested I tape the area to keep out dust and dirt.  Okay, that worked for me.

Then, months later, the problem escalated to the point that the deck was pushing up and the computer wouldn’t close.


My first thought was – Obviously, the computer gods have determined I need a new laptop.  In a letter to my brother, I mentioned, in passing, the computer problem, ending with a new computer is in my future.  My brother responded with – back up your hard drive now, sounds like your battery is bad.  Oh that can’t be good.


I got right up and backed up the computer. 

Next, I sent a detailed email to my son-in-law telling him what was going on.  I did this in a calm mostly straight-forward manner having no real worries – the thought being that I’d be needing a new laptop and this would give him a heads-up so he could start looking at computers for me.  I’ll be going to NM for xmas so I figured I could get a new one then.

Dealing with computers – what type of processor, RAM, screen resolution, HDD, storage gig – is totally outside my comfort level.  I’m fine using one and am moderately program savvy but the rest of that stuff??  no.

He called me right back.  Go unplug your computer.  It looks like the battery is not only bad but it could catch on fire.


Okay – that would be really bad.

And, so I unplugged not only the power but everything else attached to the laptop, all the while maintaining a bit of a distance.

What next?

Well, he said, if I were there, I’d remove the battery.  Hmmm – how hard can that be? 


Actually, not too hard.  The most difficult part – removing a bunch of little tiny screws and not losing any of them.

Then I opened the back, unscrewed the battery, and removed it.


Yep, all puffed up.

What next?

Son-in-law – take it outside and put it in a bucket.  Leave it there just in case it catches fire.  And so, I did. 

What next?

Put the back on and plug it in, he said.  Should work like a table top computer. 



TaDaaa!  All is better!

Now, I had to figure out what to do with the bad battery.  I did what all people do – I went to the internet. 

Cover any terminals with tape.  check
Place the battery in a plastic bag.  check
Put the battery in a cool dry place – yeah, right, no cool dry places here other inside the house and it’s NOT going inside the house!
Find someplace that will take it.  working on that


This has been a good/bad thing.  Bad – now I have a damaged battery that might catch fire and so far no luck finding anyone that will dispose of it.  Good – I discovered that I can remove the battery from a laptop and still have a working computer and I'm going to get a new laptop!

The End

 Okay, may not have been a highly entertaining story but it did meet all the story criteria from above  (you may not have been horrified but I assure the idea my computer could burst into flames horrified me!)

 Hmmm – I wonder if this would work on battery disposal??




16 Aug 2021

 

8 comments:

  1. It IS a good story - I enjoyed it! I'm married to a geek, so I never waste any second thoughts on computer related stuff and would be completely helpless if he wasn't here and something like this would happen. Yay for your son-in-law! I hope you will be successful in desposing of the battery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad the fire hasn't materialized. Yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it a good story. I read every word, start to finish, and even worried a bit about the disposal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa - I would have been alarmed too! And thanks for the head's up should this ever happen to me. Also, I think you should do a controlled explosion of the battery & then you won't have to worry about it exploding. (NOTE: DO NOT LISTEN TO ME!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least you have someone to help you when you get the new computer. I would have done the same thing. Throw it in a bucket away from the house. Let the Gods of nature deal with it. You might want to go look at the pretty new laptops on Newegg.com. I buy all my computer stuff on there. No I'm not representing them for pay or anything like that. I just love shopping at that site when I need something electronic. I got my refurbished laptop over four year ago and it's still running better than I thought it would. It cost me $300 total.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! I never knew batteries could puff up, let alone explode! I'm with The Bug: controlled explosion is the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I knew that about batteries from my phone..I love my new laptop...hard to post on it after my usas...? what ever the letters are..know cromebook can not be used to blog.....sucks..

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had Smoke once from the Granddaughter plugging in her Cell Phone too long on the Port that is beside/built in to our Sectional Sofa. Now we won't use it, that is an expensive Sofa and Leather, had it caught on Fire I would have freaked out! Luckily it only fried her Charger and not her Phone. We don't know what went wrong but I suspect it was on the Sofa end of the equation. Tech can be scary stuff to me, I'm Tech Challenged so I always need a Go To Person, usually it's an Adult Grandchild. *LOL* I'm glad you only have the disposal problem to work out, I'd of probably been a complete moron and not known it couldn't just go in the regular Trash to go to the Landfill and blow up? *LOL*

    ReplyDelete