Thursday, July 18, 2019

SALE -- uh, rummage? jumble? No! Estate – Estate Sale!



It’s ESTATE SALE Thursday!



First of all – if you enjoy going to estate sales and looking at the odd, wonderful, weird but you don’t always know when/where they are located, then this website is for you!


You just put in your zipcode and the distance you are willing to travel and zip, zap, zop estate sales in your area.  I subscribed and they send me emails. 

My sister and I are estate sale experts now.  We can judge within minutes the quality of the (estate vs junk vs ohmigod-I-have-to-get-rid-of-this-stuff) sale.  And, yes, we always look and see, no matter if it’s estate, junk or omg (you just never know what you’ll find).  We never travel to sales toward the city.  However, we have been known to drive along pothole studded dirt roads to see some odd place filled to the ceiling with possible treasures.  Anyway, one popped up in my email yesterday in Bay City which is about 30-ish miles south of us.  And, like sensitive thoroughbred race horses hearing the bell ring, we were off heading out by 9 this morning.  (It didn’t start until 10 and that should have been the first clue.)

Bay City is a nice drive south on Hwy 60.  The “estate sale” was easy to find.  Hmmmmmmm.  Not an estate sale.  Not a junk/junque sale.  Not even a 'ohmigod' sale.  It is a flea market.  Still we’re here, we looked.


School lockers – hmm, somethings never change.

And traffic signs – don’t you know some street is in trouble!

Metal cow heads – actually there were two – a matched set!

 I feel like these are some sort of martial art weapon, maybe??

Rightie-o – giant rusty metal letters

Rhett and Scarlett along with Danny and Sandy

Don’t know, don’t think I want to know.
  

Remember all those times you need an extra arm/hand?

I don’t know why these are – obviously they’re giant rusty metal balls with smaller balls inside.  I just don’t know ‘why’.

So, I’m pretty sure this is a giant hornet nest inside a cage.  Don’t know why.  Just know the nest was $35 by itself.  The cage thing was $65.

Ooookay, old tv or radio tubes – oddish.

There was much, much more.  Everything from broken crockery to rusty metal doorknobs to old doors, windows, and other misc architectural items to signs to huge fishing nets to a big pile of cypress knees to rusty bikes and on and on.  And everything was excessively expensive.  You know, the “burn your fingers if you touch it” expensive.  So, after walking around for a while, we left.

18 Jul 2019

10 comments:

  1. What a disappointment. Tell me, did the hornet's nest come out of the cage, or did you have to buy the cage to buy the nest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking both were separate and someone simply set the cage over the nest. The nest wasn't 'attached' in any way to the cage. The nest was about the size of a basketball. Wouldn't want to encounter it in the wild world!

      Delete
  2. I think that one thing is a still - ha! And those stick things seem SO FAMILIAR to me, so probably not martial arts because I know nothing about martial arts implements. I'm gonna ask my husband. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The what-ever-they-are-maybe-weapons - the non handle ends are all split bamboo, bound together to make the handle. I'll be curious to know if you figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're library newspaper holders! I knew my husband would know. Ha!

      Delete
  4. I was looking at that site you posted and saw a bunch of places in my area. They actually posted pictures of stiff they were selling. It could be one of those places that buy from estate sales and then sell whatever they found at their place for inflated prices. I did see some really nice china and mirrors and serving dishes that I wanted. Thanks for the site address.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure the flea market place we went to yesterday does just that - buys and resells. Glad you found the site helpful. Always interesting to go and look/see.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the link! I looked at all the Tucson sales I am missing (because I am in Issaquah) but nothing was really calling to me. Actually, our house is now full so I shouldn't even be looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tell myself that every time we go to one - my house is full! However, you just never know what you might really neeeeeed!

      Delete