Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Rain rain go away, come again



in July!

Ok, I have to say – I’m really tired of the rain now.  Yesterday was, yet again, overcast and threatening rain.  By mid-afternoon the thunder started off in the distance. 

And in no time, it was right on top of us with lots of lightening and big booming, cracks of thunder – loud enough to shake the windows.  It had been raining for a while but when the big thunder and lightning arrived, so did the serious rain.  Not the soothing, soak in, restful rain.  Nope – a downpour of water.  The horror movie kind of rain.  The kind that makes you check the ceilings to make sure it hadn’t broken holes in the roof.  At one point during the rain, I heard sirens and, I watched as (I expect) every vehicle in our fire department raced off down the street. 



The heavy rain lasted quite a while and when it let up (note – not stopped, just wasn’t raining as hard), there was a lake across the street.  My backyard was several inches deep in water.  And, then the strangest thing happened – the outside turned a dirty mustard yellow.  Stayed that way for quite a while.  It was rather unnerving.  I started to wonder if we were going to see monsters or space ships flying in the skies.  I walked out a couple of times just to make sure.  Nope ….. according to NOAA.gov

Most thunderstorms occur in the late afternoon. By this time of day, the sun is beginning to set. The orange hue is caused by the same process that causes the vivid colors at sunsets. Shorter wavelengths of light (blue) are scattered quickly, leaving only the yellow-orange-red end of the spectrum.

Well, ok but there still might be monsters.



First thing this morning I checked the rain gauge.  Mine will measure a max of 5 inches – full to the top.  My sister estimates it was well over 7 inches of rain yesterday afternoon.  That’s as much as Phoenix, AZ gets in a year!  And the weather channel is predicting a 50-60% chance of thunder storms through the weekend and then it’s just going to be overcast.  Sigh.

I walked outside this morning – everything is wet, really, really wet but no standing water anywhere.  The lake across the street has drained off to the river.  All my plants look fine and, joy of joys – all the weeds jumped up at least 3 inches since I mowed on Monday.  Double Sigh.

27 Feb 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment