Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Oxalis and the Borg



So, I know I’ve mentioned there are all sorts of plants considered herbs, including weeds.  But, before I go any further, here’s the #1 rule about eating weeds – Know Where Your Weeds come From!!!!!  And I cannot emphasize that strongly enough.  You just don’t want to eat things that may have been treated with herbicides, or pesticides, or some fertilizers or may have had extreme exposure to car exhaust.  That said, you can eat ….

Dandelions – can be eaten in salads, cooked like spinach – even the root can be roasted for a coffee substitute. It can be used for loss of appetite, upset stomach, intestinal gas, gallstones, joint pain, muscle aches, eczema, and bruises.

Chickweed – (which, as far as I am concerned, is a noxious weed) can be eaten like sprouts, in salads, sautéed like greens. A tea is supposed to help with arthritis pain and it can be used as a poultice for burns or insect stings.

And then there’s Clover  ..Did You Know

Actually, what most of us here in my part of the world think of as clover is Oxalis or Wood Sorrel.  You can tell the difference by the flower.


 These are the three that grow mostly in my yard.

First of all, I am convinced the Oxalis-Clover-Wood-Sorrel growing in my yard is a part of the Borg Collective.  Strength is irrelevant, resistance is futile, prepare to be assimilated." 

I swear, when I am out weeding, I can hear it speaking - Strength is irrelevant, Resistance….. - as I dug up bulb, after bulb, root after root, plant after plant.  Plus, I’m pretty sure I never even make a dent in the Bor…. Oxalis population.  It will just adapt and keep on truckin.  Mind you, I will leave some of it - Oxalis crassipes (pink clover) because I like the larger leaves and flowers.  Though I do leave it in a place where I have no problem with it assimilating everything.  Now, here are a few facts-----

(a) The genus occurs throughout the world, except for the polar areas. 
(b) There are approximately 800 known species belong to Oxalis.
(c) The distinctive three-lobed leaves are edible, and according to those that eat such things, they may have a sour taste but they make a great trail-side nibble in small quantities. (remember rule #1) 
(d) The leaves are chewed for nausea, to relieve mouth sores and sore throats, and a poultice of fresh leaves can be used for cancers and old sores. Leaf teas are brewed for fevers, urinary infections and scurvy.
(e) Put a glass of water by the bedside with leaves and flowers for speedier recovery from illness. The leaves and flowers close at night, promoting restful, healing sleep. (you never know what works!)

And finally - (f) If you leave a small bit of wood sorrel in your vegetable garden, it will provide a home for beneficial insects.  Of course it will not be content with remaining a small bit ………The Bor  uhhh  Oxalis syndrome.

Take care

p

No comments:

Post a Comment