Saturday, August 26, 2017

The Storm of the Century with Larry, Moe, and Curley




Here I am again …….
  
Well, Hurricane Harvey has, at least for us here in Wharton, been very mild.  We didn’t have any big wind or extended major downpours.  As far as I can tell, at my house, we’ve had 6 or 7 inches of rain over two days which isn’t bad.  Of course, as a friend reminded me, it isn’t over yet so we may need floaties and row boats before it is all over. 

All the news and talk and mild panic reminded me of Hurricane Rita back in 2005.  We were living in a house out in the country at that time and had stayed home and …….

It was called the “Storm of the Century” and Larry, Moe and Curly were at my house.    Didn't matter what needed to be done, the three of them stood around and argued for 10 minutes on HOW to do whatever.   But, I think the "falling off the ladder" episode was the best routine of the storm.  I pointed out to my husband (aka - Moe) that the oak tree had a huge branch overhanging the roof and did it need to be trimmed back.  So, first of all, they argued about cutting off the tree limb.  Then, about how to cut it off.  Then about who was going to get on the ladder (with a chain saw in hand).  Then about where to put the ladder.  Finally, they agreed on ladder placement, how much of the branch was going to be cut off,  who was going to do the cutting, who was going to do the ladder holding and who was going to stand around looking up.  "Larry" (the youngest of the 2 friends - age 55) started the chain saw, climbed the ladder with "Moe" holding it.  Curly (friend #2) stood there looking up.  I watched from afar.  Well, first of all, they put the ladder (which was the kind that leans not stands free) on the side of the branch that was going to fall off.   I suggested that maybe they wanted to move the ladder.  Oops, moved the ladder - right next to the place they had decided to cut.  Now, I'm not a genius on cause and effect, but I figured out what was going to happen.  And it did.  As Larry cut the branch through, several things happened at once.  1.  The branch fell on Moe.  2.  The remaining branch, still attached to the tree, popped up and tossed the ladder off.  3.  Larry was still holding the running chain saw which he tossed toward Moe and Curly (fortunately he's a good tosser and it flew past them).  4.  The ladder fell down.  5.  Larry fell on top of Moe.  Larry ended up face down in the grass, Moe sort of staggering around and Curly still looking up.  Of course it would have made waaaayyyy to much sense to get one of the ladders that stands free and cut the branch in smaller sections, but all in all, I guess everyone was lucky that no one got a major piece cut off by the chain saw.  I just shook my head and walked away. 


Has to be a funny side to every “Storm of the Century”!

Take Care
p

No comments:

Post a Comment