Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Moving – Two

 So, everyone knows what happens after you make the decision to move, decide on the where to move, decide on the what to move into.  Next is to start going through closets, cabinets, drawers, tubs, and boxes in order to determine what all you have to move.

 


This is not something I like to do.  Why?  Well, never fails, as soon as you discard something, you need it – right that minute.  Also, I’m a bit of a pack rat and only the gods knew what all was in the above-mentioned closets, drawers, etc.  Yes, there were some tubs that I had absolutely no idea what was really in them (hadn’t looked in them for nearly 10 years) BUT probably things I wanted/needed.

 However, knowing I was downsizing, I valiantly moved forward to going through things.  For instance, over the years of many sets of glasses, I had managed to accumulate 15 small juice glasses.  I never use small juice glasses.  I don’t even know why the makers of glassware actually make them anymore.  Okay – keep four, give up 11 (you never know when you MIGHT need one or four).  Good start!

 And, so it went and ultimately, I had a stack of 3 or 4 tubs sorta filled up and stacked in the garage.  Good for me!

 Then my oldest daughter arrived at my house for a week.

 


It was scary.  We went through the house – every closet, drawer, bookcase, cabinet, those boxes I had not gotten into for 10 years - everything and on everything the questions

 

What is this?

When did you last see it?

When did you last use it?

 were asked.  No answer – into a ‘NO’ tub.  In one week we got more done than I had managed to do in the previous couple of weeks.  When all was said and done, there were 12 tubs filled full and stacked in the garage for a future sale.  And, I’m sure I still need some of that stuff but …….

 After she left, I did start packing things into boxes.  A tiring process and something I do not enjoy.

 Then my youngest daughter and grandson came out.

 





She sat and packed boxes while grandson and I took heavy and/or awkward things off the walls.

 And, when they left, my house looked like I didn’t live there anymore.

 And lastly, my sister came over and

 


when she left, it really didn’t look like I lived there.

 Meanwhile – the new house got delivered, tied down, the septic system was installed, plumbing to the house was done, electricity was installed and all of it happened more quickly than anyone expected.

 You know what came next – right?  Actually moving furniture.

 Next = Moving – Three

 

23 Sep 2020



7 comments:

  1. Good thing you had help with the downsizing. I've been at it for months before I even have a place to move to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After moving most of my life every 18 months to 4 years (dad was in the Army) I know what you are talking about. It was a rough chore getting rid of stuff because we were only allotted so many pounds. Then the Army dropped that idea because the wives started complaining loudly, my mother for one. I hated moving day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how it is to downsize. I went from 5 rooms to 3. It broke my heart to part with some things, but I really had no choice. Been here almost 7 years now and time to de-clutter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the most faith in Sister. She's not smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That picture of Ellen - it is so her! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Downsizing on a regular basis is a necessity if you don't want to drown in stuff. Good for you for biting the bullet and doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just catching up. What a lovely sister and family you have to help so much.
    But getting rid of stuff is hard!

    ReplyDelete