Thursday, April 30, 2020

Bye bye April



Last day of April.  I would say – The days are just flying by – but in the current circumstances, they’re not.  Still, today is the last day of April so some final facts -

Today is …………

Bugs Bunny Day  April 30 is the day Bugs appeared in his first short file in 1938, A Wild Hare.



National Bubble Tea Day  So, in case you’re not familiar with Bubble Tea, it is a beverage combining the “refreshing goodness of tea, the wholesome creaminess of milk, and the fun, delicious surprise of bubbles”.  The bubbles, (aka boba or pearls) are made from tapioca.  No - not my cup of tea.

National Raisin Day  When it comes to raisins, there are generally two groups of people:  those that love them and those that believe they ruin a perfectly good cinnamon roll.  I am one of the latter – pass on the raisins.  However, I did wonder Why is a raisin not called a dried grape?  I mean, blueberries are called dried blueberries; cranberries – dried cranberries.  WHY??  This is what I found:  The word raisin dates back to Middle English and is a loanword from Old French; in Old French and French, raisin means "grape," while, in French, a dried grape is referred to as a raisin sec, or "dry grape." The Old French word in turn developed from the Latin word racemus, "a bunch of grapes."  Hm!  Not sure that answered my question.  Okay, then why do we call grapes – grapes and not raisins?



Poem In Your Pocket Day  To celebrate today, you can select a poem that brings you solace during this time of distance and solitude and share it on social media along with the reason you like it.  I like this poem because it makes me smile.  And, in our world of weirdness these days, something that makes you smile is good!

The Slithergadee has crawled out of the sea
He may catch all the others, but he won’t catch me.
No you won’t catch me, ol Slithergadee,
You may catch all the others, but you wo………..
Shel Silverstein



And, most importantly, today is

My Baby Sister’s Birthday.  She turned 70 today – yes, a big number but she is taking it in her stride.  Personally, I’m just happy that someone else in my family is now 7-0.  I feel less old!



So rather than do a post entirely on book’s I’ve recently read, I thought I’d just toss in the occasional book review. 

Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic  (The Dowser #1)
by Meghan Ciana Doidge

Title notwithstanding (cutesy), on the surface, this book has all the things I like – witches, necromancers, werewolves, vampires, and other “adepts” living anonymously in Vancouver.  The primary character, Jade Godfrey, owns a bakery specializing in cupcakes.  She is half witch and half something else (not specified).  Jade, who has lived always with her very powerful grandmother, has been sheltered, protected, and minimally trained in her witch craft.  And, she talks about cupcakes and/or chocolate until I thought I’d scream at the mention of one more Love, Lust, Bliss, Rapture (etc) in a Cup (her names for the different cupcakes).  The story is pretty good (though I’d have liked it better if every single person in the book didn’t “smirk” all the time). 

Dead werewolves, drained of blood, are showing up (no not dead by vampires).  The one thing they have in common is, each is wearing a trinket (a necklace, suncatcher, wind twirler) Jade has made.  She is pressed into finding the killer by an investigating vampire and the alpha of the NA pack. 

The thing I didn’t like about this book?  The primary character, Jade Godfrey.  She isn’t very smart, not interested in learning about her craft (witchery), frightened of everything, and in general, unable to stand up to anyone right or wrong.  There are several other books in this series but, right this minute, I don’t plan reading any of them.

Our governor announced that tomorrow May 1, the state of Texas will reopen.  All businesses, restaurants, theatres, etc may open except for hands-on places like hair, nail, massage salons.  All are supposed to limit the quantity of people inside to 25% of occupancy.  Masks are not required.  The scary world just got scarier.  I think I’ll stay in just a bit longer.

30 Apr 2020

6 comments:

  1. I think you are very smart to stay in a bit longer! I think it is folly to re-open without adequate testing. I worry for our medical workers in particular. Be well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, who knew April 30th is such a Red Letter Day? Happy Birthday to your sister. And I adore Bugs Bunny! I had bubble tea once but found it off-putting, quite frankly, and never bothered trying it again. Those gummy pearls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Georgia is like that too, the Governor lifting the stay at home ban as of tomorrow. Stay safe!!
    And I adore Bugs Bunny! I bet I am the only blogger you know who has put a Bugs Bunny cartoon in her post, "Trout, Trout, Pretty Little Trout"! Happy birthday to your sister!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, I crossed that line. still tagging along after my big sister.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love tapioca, but not sure I would like bubble tea... LOVE the Shel Silverstein poem. I keep looking for the books you have read, but my library doesn't have them (at least not in digital form). Sounds like this one is no great loss though...

    ReplyDelete